Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS Questions

tpahuja
Level 1
Level 1

Folks,

1) In UCS is there a way to find out which ESX server is running on which blade?

2) In UCS is there a way to find out which profiles are associated with which Template?

4 Replies 4

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1.  You can by looking at the service profile or KVM.  You should be able to tell which service profile is running on a blade which has a 1:1 mapping to an OS installation..

2.  Not yet from the GUI.  I raised an enhancement request for this months ago.  If you're intersted in this functionality take a few minutes to open a TAC case, and just ask them to link CSCtz26172 to the case.  This will help prioritize and get this feature implemented.  You can use the following workaround from the CLI if you know the exact template name:

show service-profile inventory detail  | egrep -B 7 -i

Regards,

Robert

Robert,

If I have 100 ESX servers, how would i know which paticular blade it is running on by looking at the UCS manager?

It would be diffifuclt to console into every blade to check the name of the esx server.

From UCSM go to the equipment tab, click on the top level "Chassis" then look at the right pane.  Hopefully you've named your service profiles similar to the host name.  You can easily see which profiles are on which blades...

Alternatley you can also add a "User Label" to each Profile with a customizable friendly name.

Robert

Powershell is another great way to pull info from UCSM. I created an HTML report that shows all of the info you are looking for. Check it out here - http://jeremywaldrop.wordpress.com/2012/04/04/cisco-ucs-powershell-health-check-report/

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card