Views
Helpful
Replies

ucs server sizing

adamgibs7
Level 6
Level 6

Dears,

I have just entered a pre-sales profile , i need to ask some some question related to the same.

how i can size any server based on what requirement, if i m approaching a customer and if he is need of server then what question i have to ask him.

thanks

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sizing is big question always, you can get accurate numbers but 20%+ always add an advantage.

1. what is the Application

2. what kind of OS.

3. how many users to access server

4. what is the storage required

5. required any high availability

to start with.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

lets assume,

1. what is the Application----  if they say XYZ application then what I have to ask them ??? if I m not wrong CPU, memory and HDD space it requires how I can do calculation

2. what kind of OS.--- FOR OS the CPU, OS memory and OS HDD space requirement is been  given by the vendor so no worries.

3. How many users to access server,----- if it is webserver which will be access by the internet users then how I shld judge the cpu and memory, HDD, NIC requirement, if I m not wrong based on assumption of concurrent session from the users.

4. what is the storage required---how I can judge the storage??

5. required any high availability ---OK

Some of decision only can be made with an proper input and past results of the exiting system, if new system then it will be done  based on  assumption.

Hope we have purchased our PC for our own use @home, what bassis we purchase ? it will be  based on our requirement, same way it works when we sizing.

Suggest to have a look below resource to understand high level. there is no thumb rule this give 100% results, but accurate figures only can be achieved based on learning lessons always from past.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/virtualization/collaboration-virtualization-sizing.html

Look at some UCS tools

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/tools/ent_applications.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card