cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS UUID MAC , V.nic . v.Hba what is the Numbers ... ??

AHMEDMAHMOUD
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All

Regarding Cisco Data center design i want to know some points regarding UCS service profile based on the following customization ,

i have one chassis with 5 Blade server each will host 25 VM with total of 125 VM  &the VM will reside on SAN storage via Fc.

my questions are as following

What is the Number of UUID to i have to create in that solution , and which criteria manage the number of UUID ?

What is the Number of MAC address i have to create and which criteria manage the number of MAC?

What is the Number of v.NIC  i have to create and which criteria manage the number of v.NIC?

what is number of vHBA i have to create and which criteria manage the number of v.NIC

Actually i readed the following design (Cisco Virtualization Solution for EMC VSPEX with VMware vSphere 5.1 for 250 Virtual Machines  [Design Zone for Data Cent…) but iam confused about UUID , MAC address .

Thanks in advance

1 Reply 1

rci
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ahmed,

In case you're still wondering about this, a UUID will be assigned to each UCS service profile you create.  With 5 blade servers, you would need a minimum of 5 UUIDs, though this would be insufficient if you created more service profiles than you have blades for, possibly something you may do while testing configurations.  Allocating more UUIDs than you have physical systems is a common practice, though you can add more to your UUID pool at a later date within the UUID tab of your UUID pool.

VMs are not allocated UUIDs by UCSM, VM UUIDs will be generated by whatever hypervisor has created them. 

The MAC address pools (half allocated to A side fabric, half to B side fabric) you will need will once again loosely align with the number of service profiles you end up creating, with the difference that vNICs can account for the need for multiple MAC addresses being allocated.  vNICs are virtual equivalents to physical network interfaces that are created for your UCS server when using a Cisco VIC adapter.  A general convention within UCS is to have an A side interface, and a B side equivalent adapter carrying the same traffic that can be brought into the OS deployed to the server and treated through OS level redundancy as bonded or teamed interfaces.  Maximum static vNICs will be 32 according to the UCS 3.1 Configurations Limits Guide, though this number will be limited to two for non VIC UCS adapters (Emulex,Qlogic,Intel).

More than 2 vHBAs can be allocated to a service profile as the previously mentioned Configurations Limits Guide shows, but standard convention will be two have 2 vHBAs, which will required 1 WWNN, 1 WWPN for fabric A, and 1WWPN for fabric B.

Hope this helps,

-Ramesh

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card