Helpful
Replies

UCSx Firmware Upgrade issues

Enthusiastic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Please provide me your suggestions.,

recently we had a Esxi unexpected reboots, after an investigation we found Firmware on UCSx upgraded.

1. Will the F/w automatically upgraded? and hosts will reboot automatically?

2. How can we disable these settings to avoid in future.

3. How can we set the alarms on an UCSx Dash Board.

5 Replies 5

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@Enthusiastic  

The upgrade itself of Infra or Servers is complex so perhaps someone initiated the process by mistake? If the firmware targets Servers than yes, it will reboot with the new firmware. You can set up SNMP traps/logs to capture these type of alarms.

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

@Ruben Cocheno is there no way to set a maintenance policy to "pending reboot" like on UCS MM (or do something similar to achieve the same result/effect?

Enthusiastic
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Ruben,

Am where new to UCSX..

So after Upgraded happen the reboot will automatically take place right? Also am unable to find the event logs...who is the user performed the activity, could you please assist me where I can get those details.

Are the UCS-X servers in UCS Managed Mode or Intersight Managed Mode (IMM)?

In IMM mode, the default behavior is to install on next reboot if doing manual firmware upgrades:

BrianMorrissey_0-1707139615544.png

Similar behavior as will if using firmware policies, it'll wait unless you choose to reboot immediately

BrianMorrissey_1-1707139729635.png

If the event was recent, under the requests tab (the circle with the checkbox in the top of the UI) you could search for Upgrade Firmware tasks to see who the initiator was

BrianMorrissey_2-1707139993486.png

Otherwise you'd have to go into System->Audit Logs and look for upgrades around the time of the incident

BrianMorrissey_3-1707140124995.png

This was so helpful for better understanding, verified the settings in our environment and could not able to find anything.

sgodaba_0-1707150672207.png

All are managed by Intersight Managed Mode ( IMM ).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card