cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to Access ESXi

chad.penny
Level 1
Level 1

I have installed ESXi on my blade, however I am unable to access the ESXi IP. I have been looking at different guides and walkthroughs, all of which seem to skip the step of setting up the ESXi IP, and move directly on to accessing vSphere.

Architecture info:
Nexus 5k -> FI -> B_Chassis

All routing done at 5k

VLAN X: 172.16.0.0/16
VLAN Y:10.255.1.0/24

-VLAN X and Y have been created on CUCSM
-the FIs both have single uplink ports configured, configured as Trunks allowing all VLANs on 5k side
-CUCSM Outband Management IPv4: on vlan X and is pingable
-vNIC is set to allow both vlan X and Y
-ESXi set to IP on VLAN Y, but is not pingable.

Version Info:
ESXi: 5.5

UCS-5108:

IO Modules: 2.2(8b)

Blade Adapter: 2.2(3b)
Blade CIMC Controller: 3.1(21a)

FI 6120XP: 5.2(3)N2(2.28b)

2 Replies 2

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Chad,

Looks like you may have the blade on a higher revision than the infrastructure. You may want to move the blade back to 2.2.8 firmware to be in a supported config.

1. Are you learning the mac addresses of the vnics on the FI in the correct VLAN?

2. Are you learning the mac addresses of the vnics on the N5K in the correct VLAN?

3. Can you try to not tag a VLAN in ESXi and see if the issue persists? (Typically we tag the VLAN either in UCSM or on the ESXi Console, but not both)

-Wes

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

-ESXi set to IP on VLAN Y, but is not pingable.

did you configure Vlan id in the ESX setup ?

If you did, then this vlan has to be trunked in the service profile

or

you don't configure vlan in the ESX setup, and make the vlan in the service profile native

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card