Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VIC 1340

Hi Team,

I have a blade B480 M5 with 6146 CPU , I am planning to install redhat 8.9 which is supported starting from 4.2(3) but looks like the CNA Adapter does not support on 4.2(3) for this matrix but 5.0(1) is supporting this 1340. Is there any issue with Cisco HCL tool because it looks like strange having this supported on 5.x instead it is not supported on 4.2(3).

Any help would be appreciated

Details

Blade : B480 m5 with 6146 CPU

Cisco VIC : 1340 
Firmware : 4..2(3x)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This may just be an oversight on the matrix. I have had gaps like this in the past, where certain versions of RHEL 8 were only certified on UCS rackmounts and UCS-X blades (not UCS blades). My workaround was for our Cisco presales contacts to submit an RPQ (Request for Prior Qualification) on our behalf, containing everything that you would have on the matrix, e.g. server, VIC, OS, OSver, fnic/enic driver, SAN array(s), SAN switch models and code version. They should come back in a couple of weeks stating that the combination is supported, as well as quoting an RPQ reference number (which you can reference if you have to log a call with TAC, since they may pick up that your combination/config is not certified based on the UCS Hardware and Software Compatibility tool).

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

This may just be an oversight on the matrix. I have had gaps like this in the past, where certain versions of RHEL 8 were only certified on UCS rackmounts and UCS-X blades (not UCS blades). My workaround was for our Cisco presales contacts to submit an RPQ (Request for Prior Qualification) on our behalf, containing everything that you would have on the matrix, e.g. server, VIC, OS, OSver, fnic/enic driver, SAN array(s), SAN switch models and code version. They should come back in a couple of weeks stating that the combination is supported, as well as quoting an RPQ reference number (which you can reference if you have to log a call with TAC, since they may pick up that your combination/config is not certified based on the UCS Hardware and Software Compatibility tool).

Hi Riaan,

Thank you for your inputs, Yes, I have submitted a case with Cisco TAC to check with HCL team on this.

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

And a few weeks later the UCS HCL for B480 M5 and RHEL 8.9:

StevenTardy_0-1711553961899.png

Shows the VIC 1340 (UCSB-MLOM-40G-03) on UCSM 4.2(3):

StevenTardy_1-1711553987433.png

Clicking on the info icon shows the date added:

Ethernet 2024-02-21 4.3.0.17-918.50

Sometimes HCL is incorrect or not updated.

So continue to let Cisco know somehow (TAC case or RPQ) to get the HCL updated to customer needs.

WUR
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It appears you're concerned about compatibility between the Cisco UCS hardware and the operating system you plan to install, as well as the Cisco Host Upgrade Utility (HUU) firmware version required for full functionality.

Here’s a general approach to addressing this issue:

1.Check Cisco's Hardware Compatibility List (HCL): The HCL is a detailed list that shows which hardware is compatible with specific firmware and software versions. It's important to ensure that all components of your system, including the server model, CPU, memory, adapter cards, and even the operating system, are supported in the specific combination you plan to use.

2.Understand the Firmware and Software Release Notes: Review the release notes for the Cisco UCS firmware and the Cisco VIC adapter. The release notes often contain important information about what hardware and software are supported in each version, as well as any known issues or special instructions.

3.Verify Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) Support: Ensure that the version of RHEL you plan to install is supported on the hardware and UCSM version you are using. Red Hat maintains its own compatibility list and provides certification for specific hardware.

4.Contact Cisco Support: If there is any confusion or concern regarding the compatibility information provided by the Cisco HCL tool, it's best to reach out to Cisco support for clarification. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card