cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Add Storage Connection Policy to San Connection Policy - Reboot blades?

KRIS PATE
Level 4
Level 4

I am trying to add a second direct connect storage array to my UCS (assuming this is supported). 

I think the only thing I am missing is applying the Storage Connection profile to the San Connectivity Policy.   Does this require the blades to be rebooted? I don't want to proceed if there is a chance that the blades will reboot.  I know it normally warns you, but have had instances in the past where that wasn't reliable. 

2 Replies 2

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kris,

Adding a storage connection policy to the vHBAs doesn't require a reboot as the only thing you are doing is add another zone to the fabric interconnects with the storage targets and vHBAs initiators wwpn.   

Now, if you want to make sure that your servers won't reboot without you acknowledgement, I would recommend adding a  Maintenance policy with "User Ack" to your service profiles or templates.   This policy will prompt you a message and create a pending activity if the server(s) needs to reboot in which you need to acknowledge it.  (see link below)

Understanding and Configuring Cisco UCS Maintenance Policy

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/122691/understanding-and-configuring-cisco-ucs-maintenance-policy

Please let me know if this helps.

I know this is an old thread, but the answer is still a bit unclear to me. With UCS 2.1, when adding new target(s) to an existing Storage Connection Policy which is bound to an attached service profile in production, will it create new zones without reboot and allow for discovery of target LUNs or is the reboot inevitable?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card