cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dineshgoundar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I got asked this question today which I couldnt answer so asking the community. 

If UCS Central is offline, will the UCS domains still send notification to Call Home? Smart Call Home is configured on UCS Central so Call Home is greyed out within UCS domains. 

Thanks in advance. 

3 Replies 3

mojafri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @dineshgoundar,

When you configure Call Home on UCS Central for UCS Manager, UCSM is going to be sending the Call Home alerts for the domain itself.
UCS Central can send Call Home emails related to management of the UCS Central itself.

For Smart Call Home, which is when the alert is sent to Cisco and it auto-generates a TAC case, all the alerts are sourced from UCS Central, including alerts on the UCS domains.
For internal notifications, just regular Call Home, UCSM will be the source of the alerts on the domain.

So, if UCSC goes down, smart call home will not work for UCSC, but call home/smart call home for UCSM should work!.

Please rate if you find it helpful. 

Regards,

MJ

Thanks @mojafri

So if I login to the UCS Manager that is controlled by UCS Central, the Call Home functionality in it is disabled and greyed out. This would mean to me that UCSM wouldnt send out any alerts and relies on UCS Central for all notification. How can we ensure UCSM sends out alerts even if UCS Central is offline. And why would Call Home be greyed out in UCSM. Because UCS Central is managing this? UCS Central is using Smart Call Home.

Hi @dineshgoundar,

UCSC just pushed configs to UCSM and call home is grayed out because your monitoring policy is to global. As mentioned before call home for UCSM will still work. 

To test UCSM call home, follow below steps: 

Note 

When you first enable Call Home, the system inventory is sent automatically.

If you want to Send Inventory Now on a specific UCS Domain you can do it locally on Cisco UCS Manager by making the Monitoring policy Local. The On Demand Call Home inventory is not supported at the domain group level.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/ucs-central/GUI-User-Guides/Administration/2-0/b_CiscoUCSCentral_AdministrationGuide-2-0/b_CiscoUCSCentral_AdministrationGuide-2-0_chapter_0111.html#task_099DDF8B349D42E9829155064A8E65B0

Regards,

MJ

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card