Views
Helpful
Replies

change IP settings on UCS to move to another network

asus zowey
Level 1
Level 1

Hello 

i have a Prime infrastructure on UCS in one network and i want to move it to another network with a different subnet. 

i am not a UCS expert and i want to know which IPs i need to change (ESXI etc..) and how can i change them ?

6 Replies 6

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You would need to change:

1) The ESXi Management IP - use the vSphere client (browse to the UCS current IP, click the link to download, check the configuration/networking tab) to change this. Also check the VLAN settings to see if they're appropriate for the new site.

2) CIMC Management IP - if you use this; like an iLO card which allows remote management, KVM, hardware monitoring etc. This is modified via a browser interface, just https browse to the IP.

3) Each VM - depending on the products; each product will have it's own process for changing IP address that you will need to look up and follow carefully.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thanks Aaron

1-do i have to do it in that order ? because i remember something about locking myself out if i change it in the wrong order 

2- can you tell me where can i change the IP of the CIMC in the browser interface ?

3- i remember you could change the IP also using console and a monitor when you restard the UCS, does that make sense ?

Just a clarification: do you mean UCS blade (B-Series) or rack mount (C-Series)

rack mount

1) no, order doesn't matter. You just need to be aware that when you change the IP you lose connectivity until the server is moved to the correct part of the network for the new IP.

2) Admin/Network... just follow your nose.

3) Yes. THat's what you do when you have done it wrong and can't access the server when you've moved it. The console gives a subset of options, and isn't as clear as the vSPhere client. Typically you would reset connectivity on the console, assign a basic IP, and then reconfigure your networking/vSwitches etc. There is an option to simply modify the IP if you want to do it that way... 

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

hi Aaron,

I see this post is 2 years old, however appreciate if you could share your experience.
I have a similar situation now and I will be moving one of the UCS- Rack mount to a new subnet. I am planning to change the IP address of CUCM, CUC, ESXi and then lastly CIMC in existing location before movement (I know I will lose access to all of these after changing the IP's however I will follow the order I have written above, I believe changing ESXi IP will not impact CIMC access ?) My questions are as follows:
1) can I change ESXi IP before changing the IP's of VM's
2) as CUCM in this UCS is part of cluster, means this basically is a subscriber. Do I need to reboot the cluster after its IP address change ?

Appreciate your inputs. Thanks .

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card