Field Notice 70545
Views
Helpful
Replies
BVC
Beginner
Beginner

Cisco UCS link aggregation

I'm currently investigating link aggregation with Cisco UCS. From my understanding this is supported but I'm having trouble on how to configure it. On Cisco IMC I'm trying to select the Networking option from the drop down menu (I assume you can configure aggregation here) but nothing happens when I try to click the option. In the UCS box I only have 1 intel gig network adaptor, do I require Cisco VIC/special interface card so I can access the networking option in IMC and to create link aggregation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kirk J
Cisco Employee

LACP can be configured from the OS for the Intel NICs (and the VICs)

This is typically the 'mode=4' statement in the bond config.

From RedHat's definition: "Sets an IEEE 802.3ad dynamic link aggregation policy. Creates aggregation groups that share the same speed and duplex settings. Transmits and receives on all slaves in the active aggregator. Requires a switch that is 802.3ad compliant."

Kirk...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Kirk J
Cisco Employee

The ports on VIC adapters can be configured to create a port-channel via LACP, in coordination with upstream switch(es)

LACP port-channel can also be configured at the OS level.  If you are only using your 1Gb LOM ports then you would configure that at the OS level via a bond(Linux), or teaming (ESXi) settings.

Kirk...

Hi Kirk, 

Thank you very much for your answer, I'm currently looking into doing Linux bonding then. But just to confirm then, the likes of LACP is only available on a Cisco VIC, this is not available on the likes of an Intel i350 (this came with the UCS) or even the LOM ports?

Kirk J
Cisco Employee

LACP can be configured from the OS for the Intel NICs (and the VICs)

This is typically the 'mode=4' statement in the bond config.

From RedHat's definition: "Sets an IEEE 802.3ad dynamic link aggregation policy. Creates aggregation groups that share the same speed and duplex settings. Transmits and receives on all slaves in the active aggregator. Requires a switch that is 802.3ad compliant."

Kirk...

View solution in original post

Create
Recognize Your Peers
Content for Community-Ad