Views
Helpful
Replies

Hyperflex new cluster installation stalled

jarnoldcop
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am trying to install a new out-of-box Hyperflex cluster using installer 3.0.1e and UCSM v3.2.3h on four HXAF240c M5SX nodes. The configuration step seems to have gone OK so far, but it seems to be stalled at 'Configuring HX server', 'Configuring service profile', and 'Waiting for ESXi login prompt through SoL'. I've been waiting at this step for about four hours now.

I checked the KVM of the nodes and ESX is running and I've been able to verify that SoL is working by logging into the CIMC over SSH. Is there anything I'm missing or am I just not being patient? I see no activity in UCSM or the installer at this point.

hx-install.JPG

9 Replies 9

calopez2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In UCSM ->Equipment -> Rack-Mounts ->Select a server and on the top tabs find and select FSM

Check if there is any progress status activity, to be sure.

The only thing in the FSM tab is the Turnup steps, which are successful on each server. No change in activity since around 17:30Z yesterday.

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Does this extract from BRKINI-2601 help?  It suggests that for your problem you should:

• Ensure the external-mgmt.pool IP addresses in UCSM are in the same subnet as the UCS Manager IP address
  • Verify connectivity between Platform Installer and server CIMC/KVM IP addresses (Ping/SSH)

BRKINI.png

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

• Ensure the external-mgmt.pool IP addresses in UCSM are in the same subnet as the UCS Manager IP address

They are on the same subnet.

• Verify connectivity between Platform Installer and server CIMC/KVM IP addresses (Ping/SSH)

I can ping/SSH into any CIMC from the installer VM.

It isn't even progressing into the ESXi configuration phase. It appears to be waiting for SoL, but I am able to verify that SoL is working.

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Another thought has occurred to me after reading

I checked the KVM of the nodes and ESX is running and I've been able to verify that SoL is working by logging into the CIMC over SSH. Is there anything I'm missing or am I just not being patient? I see no activity in UCSM or the installer at this point.

Hopefully, you do NOT have ANY cables sonnected to the Nodes EXCEPT the 40Gbps connections to the Fabric Interconnects. See item g. in the Before beginning Hyperflex installation… section of the pre-install checklist.

If you do, the install may well fail.

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

mojafri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @jarnoldcop,

If FSM state is 100%. Please verify below. 

1. Verify SSH connectivity to CIMC IP Address from HX installer VM. Login with UCS Manager credentials and issue "connect host". Press Enter and verify you drop into the ESXi shell.
    • If above fails, verify SSH is enabled on ESXi host through DCUI
  2. Disable/Enable DCUI shell

Note: If you are not getting dropped to esxi shell, you may wanna try below workaround, but you need to setup the IP to the esxi host from DCUI. You can't login through dcui shell as its disabled from factory. 

In some cases the SOL redirection becomes unresponsive.

You will be able to connect to CIMC IP but will not be able to drop into ESXi Shell by pressing Enter.

Workaround:

toggle com port redirected to SOL with following commands:

esxcli system settings kernel set -s tty1Port -v com0

esxcli system settings kernel set -s tty1Port -v com1

BTW, could you please provide me the output of "cat /var/log/springpath/hxinstaller.log" from HX installer ssh? 

Please rate if you find it helpful. 

Regards,

MJ

Also provide me the "ucs_automation.log" under same path - /var/log/springpath

I can drop into the ESXi shell without having to issue connect host and can even log into the ESXi shell. I can do this from a workstation or from the platform installer VM. I have attached the hxinstaller.log.

hi;

i have the same issue;

i try to SSH CIMC IP and it not redreicte me to ESxi ??? any other solution please

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card