cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

new management IPs, kvm unreachable

servnotif
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there! I've inherited the management of a chassis, running UCS Manager 2.1(3g). Now it must be moved into a new network, new IPs, etc.

So, I changed the management IP addresses of the Fabric Interconnects and the UCS Manager connects just fine, then i created a new pool for the blades management IPs.

However none of the consoles work and none respond to ping. So far i tried: checked no duplicate IP's, new pool IP's are in same subnet as the interconnect IPs, deleted the pool and just created a new ip block (deleting the old one) in the ext-mgtm pool, manually assigning management IPs, nothing works, even if I connect my laptop directly.

Funny thing is if i assign my laptop an IP address in the range of the old net then change the fabric management IPs as well as manually setting the blades mgmt IPs to the old subnet too then it immediately works like a charm again. There are no firewalls inbetween, it just would seem internally the CIMC of the blades are unable to communicate to the fabrics as if they were in a different subnet or if there was a policy.

However I just combed through all the settings and policies and didn't find anything that would "glue" it to the old subnet address scheme. I guess I must be missing something else.

Thanks a lot in advance! 

2 Replies 2

mojafri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, 

You are running very old code wherein we have lot of kvm issues, lets figure out which on it is as I don't know off the top of my head. Please provide the output from the tshoot guide below: 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/servers-unified-computing/ucs-manager/115958-ucsm-kvm-troubleshooting-00.html

Also, if the nat rules are there for kvm ip from (show mgmt-ip-debug ip-tables), its worth doing capture. 

#connect nxos A/B 

#ethanalyzer local interface mgmt capture-filter "port 2068" limit-captured-frames 0 detail

Note: 

For instance if you are checking FI-B ip-table/capturing on FI-B, you have to focus on blades having managing instance pointing to FI-B. 

image.png

Regards,

MJ 

Thank you for your reply! I realize it's quite old now. I'll get the info as soon as i get the access to the blades again. If this version has a ton of KVM issues we might as well find a workaround but perhaps we should take a shot at it. I'll get the info ASAP.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card