Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS direct KVM access - CIMC ip address - DNS name

Danny Sandner
Level 1
Level 1

Hello community,

I have a little problem. We are using UCS 2.2(3d) and 32 B200 M3. Now I want to use KVM direct access.

For all 32 Blade Server, we have created DNS entries for their CIMC IP addresses.

example: ESXserver1.rc (servername + ".rc") <-- --> 192.168.0.1 (CIMC IP address)

If I enter the CIMC IP address in browser, KVM direct access works fine.

If I enter the DNS name in Browser, KVM direct access page loads, I log in and get the following error message:

GetKVMLaunchUrl: Invalid or zero CIMC IP Address passed

Can someone help me? Do I have to configure something?

Regards

Hugo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Danny Sander,

By DNS name it won't work even though you created in DNS entries also, bcoz it will only work through CIMC mangement IP address.

Please go through link

https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/view/ccna-data-center/9780133860429/ch16lev3sec9.html

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Danny Sandner
Level 1
Level 1

No visits?

Does no one use direct KVM access? :)

Hi Danny Sander,

By DNS name it won't work even though you created in DNS entries also, bcoz it will only work through CIMC mangement IP address.

Please go through link

https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/view/ccna-data-center/9780133860429/ch16lev3sec9.html

Many thanks,

I have the official answer of Cisco, too:

CSCup27802: GetKVMLaunchUrl: Invalid or zero CIMC IP Address

Symptom:

Error message GetKVMLaunchUrl: Invalid or zero CIMC IP Address is seen when attempting to login to the KVM directly.

Conditions:

Using a domain name instead of an IP address in the browser.

Workaround:

Use the IP address only.

/Danny

Three years later we still have this same behavior, even in the latest UCS Infrastructure Manager software.  This seems like something that should be fixed.

We currently have DNS names for both our servers and their management processors (CIMC or otherwise for other hardware vendors.)  It's a shame that we have to force the administrator use the DNS system, which is intended to make life easier by mapping names to IP addresses, to do a reverse lookup to find the IP address to be able to access the management processor directly.

This isn't a problem with non-UCS domain connected hosts.  I can access the CIMC for standalone C220 systems using a DNS name just fine.  Why then the limitation for managed hosts?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: