Views
Helpful
Replies

Virtual Connect Flex-10 with Cisco 6513 Switches

abbas.ali
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have the following configuration and I suspect that there is a loop, but will need someone to verify.

We  have (2) HP C7000 Enclosures with each enclousure  has (2) Flex-10  Modules and each Flex-10 module has (2) 10Gb LACP connected to Cisco  6513 switches  A and B respectively.

Enclosure A

C7000—Flex 10 Module 1,  two 10Gb ports (LACP) connected to Cisco Switch A

C7000---Flex 10 Module 2,  two  10Gb ports (LACP) connected  to Cisco Switch B

Enclosure B

C7000—Flex 10 Module 1,  two 10Gb ports (LACP) connected to Cisco Switch A

C7000---Flex 10 Module 2,  two  10Gb ports (LACP) connected  to Cisco Switch B

I  don't know much about HP Flex-10, but I can certainly see a definite  loop causing network to flapping up/down with high CPU Levles,  Guest Operating  Systems on Virtual Machines are timing out etc.  Problem is kind of Intermittent.

The  only way one may bypass STP without causing a loop by LACPing from the  same VC Module either going to the same physical switch or two different  switches in a same cluster such  Cisco VSS.  Correct!!

I don't why Cisco 6513s are not able to detect redundant links and put ports in a blocking mode. 

I will appreciate if someone who knows HP Flex-10 and how it behaves with Cisco Core switches and how to fix this issue.

1 Reply 1

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Flex-10 modules have internal stacking links between them, so you do have a loop.  I'm not sure if you can disable this or not, but as it stands you can see this would cause a loop. 

If you can disable these internal links you would eliminate the loop.

Might want to check your HP documentation to confirm.

Regards,

Robert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: