cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vmnics an fabric failover

Dragomir
Level 1
Level 1

Should fabric failover be checked when creating vmnics on a service profile? Or should A stay at A and B stay at B?

11 Replies 11

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Tony,

1) failover option is avaiable on the vnic properties, you can either check it while creating the service profile / vnic template. Or you can modify it later as well.

2) Depending upon the type of OS you are going to run on the blade, the failover option should be selected. e.g if you are going to run vmware we suggest not to enable failover where as for any other OS you can do that.

Hope these help!

./Abhinav

hi

does his order looks like it needs to be changed? dos it mater if the fc nics are first or last? also what does derived mean here?

Hi Tony,

The order looks okay to me. it does not matter if the is placed first or last, there is a fixed sequence of how they are created / placed on the PCI bus.

The derived here indicated the physical address for them (WWPN/MAC) will be derived from a pool.

./Abhinav

Tony, I recommend you define the vNIC/vHBA order so that ESXi detects vmnic0 as UC vNIC vmnic0 and not vmnic1.

oder should be like this:

vmnic0

vmnic1

vmnic2

vmnic3

vmnic4

vmnic5

vmnic6

vmnic7

fc0

fc1

hi

are you saying I should rename them to vmnic0, vmnic1 etc.... instead of naming them vmnic0-mgmt-A, etc....

I dont understand this

" ESXi detects vmnic0 as UC vNIC vmnic0 and not vmnic1."

No, I am saying you should modify the placement of the vNICs so that the ESXi installer detects the UCS vNIC named vmnic0 as the first network adaptor.

ok. my esxi host is up and I can ping the management ip. which is using vmnic0,1

logging into vsphere and creating vmotion with vmnic2 and vmnic3.

I have vhba templates for these so that they are on vlan 60.

I created the vmotion vswitch and with the vmotion kernel ip in the 10.60.x.x range.

But I cannot ping the ip outside of 10.60 range.

another host within 10.60 works fine

You shouldn't be able to ping outside the vMotion VLAN. This should be a non-routable VLAN, only requirment is that the ESXi hosts can communicate with each other on this VLAN.

i can ping other hosts that are on 10.60 network though. just no 10.60 addresses within ucs is pingable right now outside of this 10.60 network.

on my template. I have the target check as adapter only. What should it be for vmotion nics / Port groups

should vm be checked if the nics are used for vm traffic?

No, the VM check box is for VM-FEX configuration. Can you SSH into an ESXi host and vmkping another ESXi hosts vMotion IP? Could be a VLAN tagging issue.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card