Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR4331 - DSP

Yort Mantup
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

First time configuring voice on a this model.  Read thru many posts and just need clarity.  Output from show inv followed by my question.

NAME: "Chassis", DESCR: "Cisco ISR4331 Chassis"
PID: ISR4331/K9 , VID: V04, SN: FLM2220W077

NAME: "Power Supply Module 0", DESCR: "250W AC Power Supply for Cisco ISR 4330"
PID: PWR-4330-AC , VID: V02, SN: PST2204N0X6

NAME: "Fan Tray", DESCR: "Cisco ISR4330 Fan Assembly"
PID: ACS-4330-FANASSY , VID: , SN:

NAME: "module 0", DESCR: "Cisco ISR4331 Built-In NIM controller"
PID: ISR4331/K9 , VID: , SN:

NAME: "NIM subslot 0/1", DESCR: "NIM-4FXO Voice Analog Module"
PID: NIM-4FXO , VID: V02, SN: FOC22060H58

NAME: "NIM subslot 0/2", DESCR: "NIM-1MFT-T1/E1 - T1/E1 Serial Module"
PID: NIM-1MFT-T1/E1 , VID: V05, SN: FOC221538CM

NAME: "PVDM subslot 0/4", DESCR: "PVDM4-64 Voice DSP Module"
PID: PVDM4-64 , VID: V02, SN: FOC221568P1

When I configured the controller for the PRI (t1 0/2/0) and added the pri-group timeslots 1-24 I did get the Not enough DSP resources available to configure pri-group on controller T1 0/2/0....  but the configuration line does exist.

controller T1 0/2/0
framing esf
linecode b8zs
cablelength long 0db
pri-group timeslots 1-24

Does this mean I will still have an issue with DSP resources?  I have read two different arguments regarding moving the DSP module from the motherboard to the NIM-1MFT card.  But if I did that, how would it support the FXO card?  

show diag sub 0/2 ee
SPA EEPROM data for subslot 0/2:

Product Identifier (PID) : NIM-1MFT-T1/E1
Version Identifier (VID) : V05
PCB Serial Number : FOC221538CM
Hardware Revision : 1.0
CLEI Code : IP9IAZ8CAA
Rolesville#show diag sub 0/4 ee
SPA EEPROM data for subslot 0/4:

Product Identifier (PID) : PVDM4-64
Version Identifier (VID) : V02
PCB Serial Number : FOC221568P1
Hardware Revision : 1.0
CLEI Code : IPUCBC2BAB

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
On an ISR-4k the TDM cards cannot use the mobo DSP's. You need to have the PVDM on the NIM cards themselves in order to use them for TDM. Move the PVDM from 0/4 subslot to one of the cards. If you need to configure the second NIM as well, you would need to purchase another PVDM.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
On an ISR-4k the TDM cards cannot use the mobo DSP's. You need to have the PVDM on the NIM cards themselves in order to use them for TDM. Move the PVDM from 0/4 subslot to one of the cards. If you need to configure the second NIM as well, you would need to purchase another PVDM.

Thank you Nipun! - that was my assumption from what I had read but wanted confirmation.  So after moving the PVDM to the NIM supporting the PRI, if I need to use the 4-FXO, I would need to purchase a second PVDM and install on that NIM, correct?  

If so, what use is having the option for PVDM on the motherboard?

Nope, FXS/FXO/E&M/BRI cards have a built-in, non configurable PVDM. You don't see it either in inventory or platform output. However, if you do a "show voice dsp group all", you would see the PVDM with type as "DM8147" which would be the PVDM for FXO in this case.
Also, you cannot replace these PVDM's since they are built-in. The complete card gets replaced irrespective of the fact whether it is an issue with the card/port or the actual PVDM.

Hi Nipun,

Thanks for updating our knowledge. I do have one more query that if we are physically moving PVDM from slot 0/4 to 0/1 where MFT/PRI slot is installed then do i need to do the dsp farming configuration again. In my case PVDM is on sub slot 0/4 and have to move it to sub slot 0/1. Below is the output of xcoder/conference on slot 0/4

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: