cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CP-8961 Phone. Can a Basic Online VOIP Service be Used or is a Sisco Server Required for Home Use?

IeM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,
I purchased a CP-8961 VOIP phone for home office use with a number of VOIP accounts.

Can this unit be used with an online VOIP service supplier via the home modem or is a communications server required between the CP-8961 and the modem making it unsuitable for this task?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok, so the phone is running Enterprise image.
To start, you'll need a few things:
1. A working SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml file (use Google to search for one in this forum);
2. A working dialplan.xml.cnf file (again, Google);
3. Firmware for the phone;
4. Username & password for the voice account (talk to the voice provider); and
5. TFTP Option 150.

IMPORTANT:  

The method I've just elaborated can be long but it will work.  Alternatively, you can contact the seller of the phone and ask if they can swap/exchange for a unit that has 3PCC firmware on it.  

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on the provider you choose. Most of them should support VOIP Service with this phones.

check with provider is this model compatible to use for their Services.

Yes you can use your broadband with this phone.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

MaryGrace
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

It should work. You will find a Ethernet cable together with the phone and power adapter. Assemble it by connecting the adapter to the power. To connect it to your internet plug in the Ethernet cable to "SW" port at the back of your phone, then connect the other end to your router/modem. Your phone should start to initialize network. Once it is all set up and you can see your extension you should be able can make calls.

Hope it helps!

Grace

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@IeM wrote:

I purchased a CP-8961 VOIP phone for home office use with a number of VOIP accounts.

Can this unit be used with an online VOIP service supplier via the home modem or is a communications server required between the CP-8961 and the modem making it unsuitable for this task?

Look at the delivery receipt or the back of the phone.  Look at the product ID.  Does it have the characters "3PCC" in it or not?

Thanks for the fast replies that seem to indicate that this phone should connect to an online VOIP service and do the job via the home modem without a server.

The phone is showing that it is DHCP bound.

I have connected the laptop to the phone and it is able to access the internet via the phone and it's internal switch.

The phone is displaying "Phone not registered".

With other VOIP devices I have used I have had to set SIP details and passwords etc. so that the online VOIP service could be found and accessed. I would have thought that I would have to do the same for this phone, but I have not read anywhere how to make these settings other than via a Sisco type server.

Anyone know of a document that has the instructions for connecting to an online service directly via a modem?

I can't help you if you don't answer the most fundamental question: What firmware is the phone running on?
Look at the delivery receipt or the back of the phone. Look at the product ID. Does it have the characters "3PCC" in it or not?

Hi Leo,

I have attached an image of the back of the phone, however, as far as I can see, there is no "3PCC" on there and I don't know what "3PCC" stands for.

I could not find the firmware version but I found the "Last Update" 01/01/82 12:00a which seems strange.

3PCC stands for "Third Party Call Control". In short, 3PPC phone can speak standard SIP protocol while non-3PCC phone can speak Cisco proprietary protocol only and the require Cisco's call control device like Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express or Survivable Remote Site Telephony. Non 3PCC phone will not work with your provider unless he support proprietary Cisco protocol in question.

Ok, so the phone is running Enterprise image.
To start, you'll need a few things:
1. A working SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml file (use Google to search for one in this forum);
2. A working dialplan.xml.cnf file (again, Google);
3. Firmware for the phone;
4. Username & password for the voice account (talk to the voice provider); and
5. TFTP Option 150.

IMPORTANT:  

The method I've just elaborated can be long but it will work.  Alternatively, you can contact the seller of the phone and ask if they can swap/exchange for a unit that has 3PCC firmware on it.  

I think I have a Linksys SPA9000 somewhere.

If I connect that up it may be a solution.

hi lem...i'm in ur old same situation, did u solve?