Views
Helpful
Replies

DTMF Lag between CME and CUE

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi All,

I found myself in an embarrassing situation today, I had to give a demonstration to the sales staff and management today on how to sell Cisco SMB products (In particular the phone systems) and the feature sets of them, luckily though this was only internal and not in front of a customer.

Systems:

UC-560 with latest Software Pack (Original Demonstration Unit)

Back up......

UC-540 with latest Software Pack (Used only if problems were encountered with the first system)

Symptoms:

Dial into CUE and go through the setup process (To demonstrate this process), press the key as instructed and no response, press it another 2 times and still no response.. Although I did notice that if I waited until she finished speaking I had a better strike rate, it would sometimes work on first go for say like deleting a deposit, but on say the second message I press the "3" key twice to get it to delete before it actioned the request.

Is this lag? Or another issue??

Now I thought maybe the issue is the UC-560 so I transferred over to the UC-540 for the demonstration, and as was not expecting the same thing happened, I just thought I had maybe botched the initial configuration (Likely as I have not done too many with CCA 20-30 maybe), but this was not the case.

The problem here is that the UC-560 is our own demonstration system in the Cisco demonstration room that is used to present this to potential clients, the UC-540 I am building right now for a client and am concerned now that this problem was reproducible on two system with the same software packs, and the 540 being a system that will be engaged in a live production environment.

I have not had a chance to debug this as I only just finished the demo, but I wonder if this would be a fruitless exercise and am looking for feedback from both the wider community and the Cisco team, I am unable to resolve in my mind a work around as both of these systems are fresh rebuild with little configuration on them, and both were built using CCA (Latest version).

So I am open for some feedback on this, and am wondering if this settles down over time or if it is a persistant problem? What are other peoples experiences with this type of issue??

Thank you in advance and I look forward to the feedback.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *
2 Replies 2

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi All,

Just an update on this problem after curiosity would not let my mind be at ease, I plugged a 7965 into the system and set it up with VM enabled, and then re-did the test, turns out no problem was encountered at all.

So just to double check I left the SPA-525G2 connect and pulled out a SPA508 and SPA509 and re-did the test on both of them... BINGO!!!! Problem encountered...

So just to be a little more diligent I pulled out the might and great 7970 and no problem encountered...

So the root cause is the SPA phones at this stage, so I am thinking it is not an IOS or CUE issue but now a phone related issue and the DTMF implementation with their operating system (If they are indeed different to that of a 7900 series).

I am now left wondering what to do about this since that is the direction sales have been instructed to go down, selling the SPA series phones.

The other question is how much time do I spend on working through this problem, is there other cases out there of this happening with the community and a resolution??

The firmware being used on the SPA phones is the default one with the pack, should I be considering upgrading? Are there any other known issues with the current loads?

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hi All,

Just an update on this subject...

It would seem upgrading to phone load 7-4-8 has given the Lag issue a leave of absence, the tests so far have not yielded any unwanted results which is a positive sign, so confidence in the SPA phones is increasing a fair bit now

Will continue to give this a bit of a hammering and see if i can reproduce any bad results, but for now if I can work out a way to mark this thread as Answered I will close it off.

Cheers,

David.