cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommended extension numbering

David Schau
Level 1
Level 1

I have not found anything but today ran into something I haven't seen before.  I had phones setup in the 200-245 range that were working fine and then placed some analog FXS ports from 255-258 as fax ports.  I could not get them to ring, they rang busy when dialed internal or via a DID.  After fighting it for a while I set the extensions to 355-358 and then they rang through fine.  Anyone experience something like this?

We next are going to play with B-ACD and wonder if there are preferred numbers I should use for this or if it should even matter.  System was intialized via CCA wizard and configured with CCA as well.  Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi David,

You will notice when using CCA it will give to you a recommended extension for each function I.E FXS ports generally will be different, so will Blast Group Pilot Numbers, and B-ACD and AA etc..etc..

By separating them and having different extensions or pilot numbers, the management of each function becomes easier for things like call routing and diagnosis, it also stops number overlapping which can take place but no so prevalent these days because CCA will/should prevent this from happening.

It is good to work with the ranges that CCA gives you, but this does not mean you cannot change the actual number it gives you, change that to a suitable number but try and keep it within that range

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi David,

You will notice when using CCA it will give to you a recommended extension for each function I.E FXS ports generally will be different, so will Blast Group Pilot Numbers, and B-ACD and AA etc..etc..

By separating them and having different extensions or pilot numbers, the management of each function becomes easier for things like call routing and diagnosis, it also stops number overlapping which can take place but no so prevalent these days because CCA will/should prevent this from happening.

It is good to work with the ranges that CCA gives you, but this does not mean you cannot change the actual number it gives you, change that to a suitable number but try and keep it within that range

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David,

I typically do use the default range I get, for me it keeps a good logical separation.  In the case Monday I had the customer enable the FXS ports and he chose the numbers in the same basic range as the phones.  I wasn't concerned until we couldn't ring the faxes (they worked outbound) and found that changing them to the 300 range got them working.

Thanks for the feedback, you are a great contributor.

Hi David,

After re-reading both comments, I am a little puzzled now, in theory it should have still worked

I have personally built over 50 systems where the FXS ports are in the same range as the rest of the phones, in fact if they were being turned into "User" instead of "Common" I would always put them in the same range... The setup should have worked, unless they were set in CLI and were sharing the extension with something else, or their configuration was not properly propagated throughout the system and when you changed them CCA correctly updated the config.

Something does not add up... But oh well it is workign now so no need to go back and play with it

Cheers,

David.