cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA504G VLAN Problem

metalink
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a problem trying to setup separate VLAN's for the voice and PC on a 504G (firmware 7.4.4) connected to a Cisco SLM248P switch (firmware 2.0.0.10). Basically with VLAN's turned off the phone receives its IP and configuration via DHCP without any problem. However whenever I setup the phone as such it stops working.

Enable VLAN: Yes

VLAN ID: 1

CDP: No (tried Yes too)

EnablePCPortVLANTag: Yes

PCPortVLANID: 2

The switch port that the phone is connected to is a member of VLAN1 Untagged and VLAN2 Tagged.

After setting up this configuration, the PC connected into the phone can reach other devices on VLAN2 without any issue. The phone however will not pull its IP/config from the DHCP server. I see the DHCPDISCOVER and DHCPOFFER coming from the MAC address of the phone but I never see a DHCPREQUEST or DHCPACK meaning it has received the IP. It just keeps looping thru discover and offer requests over and over. I have also tried running the phone on an older firmware version with the same results.

I also have a SPA525G setup in the exact same manner as the 504 and it works fine.

Unfortunately, I am in a situation where I have a number of offices where there is only one network drop so I need to get this working. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Eric

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dear Sir;

We have been able to nail down the issue.

- Voice VLAN cannot be 1. Set it to any value starting from 2.

Regards, and please let me know if it works for you

Alberto

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Alberto Montilla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dear Sir;

I'll escalate your issue. Engineering would need to test this scenario to see if there is any issue. I'll let you know the resolution. Can you please take some traces? that would help to speed up the resolution.

Regards;
Alberto

Attached are a couple wireshark captures. It has some extraneous info in it but you should be able to filter that out. The mac address of the phone is C4:7D:4F:06:53:00.  Let me know if this capture does not include what you need.

ext110-novlan.pcap is when there is no vlan setup and the phone receives it's IP address

ext110-vlan.pcap is when the vlan is setup and the phone does not receive it's IP address

Some additional information. 1) I tried multiple 504G phones and all exhibited the same behavior. 2) If I set the phones IP address statically and have the vlan setup it is still not pingable.

Thank you,

Eric

For some reason I am not able to upload the failed trace ext110-vlan.pcap. I've tried zipping it up and uploading by itself with no luck. Any ideas?

It may be too big, try filtering it with to keep the important messages and delete the non related one.

It's only 15KB so I don't think size would be the issue. Can I email it to you instead?

-Eric

Attempting this again. See the attached trace.

This is a show stopper for this project. Do I need to open a formal support ticket for this?

-Eric

I would open a case befroe it gets much later approaching the weekend, yes.

I'm pinging engineering again on this issue, please stay tuned.

Regards
Alberto

Dear Sir;

We have been able to nail down the issue.

- Voice VLAN cannot be 1. Set it to any value starting from 2.

Regards, and please let me know if it works for you

Alberto

Setting the voice vlan to 2 and the PC vlan 1 seems to have resolved the issue. Thanks!

-Eric

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: