Views
Helpful
Replies

UC320 - Self-installation wise?

fmoscovici
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I am based in the UK and will shortly acquire a new office with zero legacy infrastructure (no lines, no broadband, no phones!)

After much research I plan to acquire and install:

Fibre optic line (Virgin or BT)

Cisco 320

VoIP only

The configuration looks pretty straightforward even for an amateur like me but things always look easier on paper or YouTube! I am competent but non technical. All our computers are Macs currently running on a TimeCapsule-based network. I do not plan to install any cabling.

Anybody in the forum having done a self-install who would share wisdom? Any checklist? If the answer is "don't do it" how much should I expect to pay for configuration/installation/training?

Thanks

16 Replies 16

Hi Francois,

The system is really meant to be installed by a VAR/Partner.  There are a number of SMART Design documents that are available with Partner login that take you through an install step by step.  That said as long as your data network requirements aren't too advanced such as running Public servers or VPN access, you should be ok.

Here is a link to the published documentation on the forum:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-14783

SIP configurations can be a little tricky, so check here first to see if someone has posted a template for your SIP trunk provider:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-15041

Make sure you upgrade the firmware in your switches.  The Configuration Utility for the UC320W was designed to be user friendly and easy to use.

We are happy to hear you have chosen to go with the UC320W.  Good luck in whichever path you choose to go down for your installation.

Chris

Thanks Christopher & friends. I'll talk to a couple of resellers early in the week - budget is an issue so we'll see if I can afford them...

Side question: the basic documentation says that it's better if there's an additional security device to protect the 320. At present my Apple router (standard firewall etc.) is at the front-end of my network. I can do this and have the 320 to simply serve voice (if that's the correct expression). However there are two other considerations:

1) I assume that the 320 manages QoS so having it 'in charge' makes more sense, with the Apple TimeCapsule  simply as a backup device and printer server

2) I must say I don't *yet* understand the benefits of a unified network for voice and data in a simple voice + LAN configuration. Should I run one network only or two (Cisco for voice, Apple for data)?

Thoughts?

Many thanks

François

dmgalt2006
Level 1
Level 1

I would recomend seeking partner/VAR assistance unless you have an understanding of VLANS, vlan port configuration, basic QOS and call routing design. Additionally a partner familiar with CISCO UC systems will have good advice for using/programing the soft key features for call monitoring, extension monitoring, page groups, intercom, and speed dial setup.

Regarding SIP vendors, having implemented numerous times sucessfully public internet based VOIP/SIP solutions, I would rate their quality at best an 8 out of 10 and at worst a 4 out of 10. Many public internet vendors do NOT honor QOS/DSCP tagging and other inconsistencies in public routed internet solutions can wreak havoc on call quality.

You may want to discuss a SIP trunk with a local CLEC or consider using traditional POTS lines.

In the Cleveland, OH. US market we are seeing clients with 4 POTS lines unlimited local and DSL for $200 US routintely.

Damon Galt

EMC Computers

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Francois,

Whilst the recommendation is quite high to use a VAR to provide and configure the system for you, the option to do a self install though is not out of the question as the UC-320W is quite intuitive and is fairly straight forward to understand.

In the event your budget cannot accomodate to pay for someone to install and configure this for you then you need to consider the following.

• First and foremost you HAVE to purchase at worst the very basic support contract so if you hit some major hurdles you can get support from Cisco SBS support and at best avoid a major catastrophe.
  • If you do not plan on building any cable infrastructure and are considering using a wireless only network then you will need to look at the SPA525-G2 phones and use them with the UC-320W, and further to that I would highly recommend that you plug the MAC's into the back of the phone to use the phones inbuilt VLAN capabilities of the phone to give some protection to the voice component of the network, but do not expect the same type of data throughput you will get from a cabled network - But I am pointing out that it is not entirely out of the realm of operation to go down this path.
  • You will need some form of a secure router at the edge, and looking at your comment of going fibre then I suspect you will get some form of Ethernet hand off, so you will need a secure router that has a WAN port so it can accept that Ethernet hand off. At this stage I would recommend the SA-500 series for this, they are low cost entry into the secure router environment and very capable of managing a decent size office, it will also play nicely with VLAN's and give you a strong sense of security over the network, and when you have fibre services you NEED to keep this at the forefront of your mind.
  • Time and patience, you cannot rush this especially if you are not a season installed or an experienced person in voice and data combined, make sure you map things out design how you want the network to look and then consult those who can assist with the design to ensure that it will work, you could potentially get great advise from these forums, but planning and design will be the crux of it and if done properly and correctly this could potentially avoid many major problems.
  • Understanding of your subnets, you will need one for your voice and one for your data, some people prefer to run their networks separately and independently of each other, but given you have pointed out you will be under budget constraints you cannot then dismiss the whole idea of unified communications as this is what Cisco have in mind to reduce costs, giving you the ability to incorporate your data and voice networks into one to reduce costs.

I am sure more could be said but this is the basics, get this right and you could potentially set it up for a smooth install, although I must reiterate you should get a VAR to help with this or at worst at least be prepared to pay them if you find yourself stuck in a bad position, never extend yourself too far or go to far out of your depths, if you feel you can no longer handle it then it is recommended at this stage you get help and don't dig a bigger hole for yourself.

Hope this helps out.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

jeffsand
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Francois,

Just a couple of additional comments to add to the good advice you've already been given.

The following discussion, may provide some insight into the route "Voice Only" topology configuration:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3327908#3327908

Note that you will need to have your upstream router handle the QoS.  This topology a good configuration where legacy networks are being preserved.  A simpler option is to configure the UC320W to route both voice and data.  I think the unified voice/data networks with careful consideration for your individual components will lead to lower maintenance complexity.  That is why Cisco tries to recommend complete end to end solutions that include the UC320W, voice enabled POE switches and security router.

Also, I want to let you know that if you do choose 525G option for it's wireless voice capability, the PC port on the phone is not enabled in this mode of operation.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Thanks everybody for your wise words.

My conclusion is that I need help. I have received one quote from a local supplier who was trying hard to up-sell me to the UC540 series which is above my budget when you take everything into account. His argument was that the 320 doesn't support "remote sign in" (not sure it's the right expression, what I mean is the ability for a user to sign in from a remote network  i.e. home and activate an IP phone as if in the office). This sounds strange to me and it wouldn't be the first time an IT salesperson would stretch the truth a bit to up-sell...

What are the key differences between 320 and 540 series out of the box? What can be added later on?

Have a good weekend and watch out for the Easter Bunny.

François

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/vcallcon/ps7293/C78-557768-00_540_platform_reference_guide_DS_v2a.html

UC540 supports with Licenses up to 32 users

The UC540 supports multi site configuration

The UC540 runs UCE (Unified Communications Express)

The UC5XX series is a TRUE Cisco product

The UC5XX supports 8 in-line POE ports

The UC5XX supports remote VPN Registration via SPA525G/SPA525G2 phones

The UC5XX supports detailed call reporting

The UC5XX has and can be customized to work with custom software and integrate

The UC5XX allows you to configure and monitor a CISCO POE Camera from a SPA525G/G2 phone.

The UC5XX is quite a bit harder to configure

The UC5XX supports the CISCO Call Connector and Cisco Office Manager applications for ease of use

The UC5XX supports SKINNY

The UC5XX supports 7XXX series phones (wireless models included)

The UC5XX can be upgraded to support more types of system, has expansion slots, and can support PRI/FXO/SIP Trunking

The UC320W is CHEAPER

The UC320W runs on Linux

The UC320W runs on SIP

The UC320W supports 300 and 500 series phones ONLY

The UC320W has NO POE ports

The UC320W is entirely configured from the web interface

The UC320W though VERY configurable is no where near as customizable as the UC5XX

The UC320W Can support SIP registration via ethernet and FXO (up to 12 FXO with the SPA8800)

The UC320W is substantially simpler to configure

The UC320W is supposed to support VPN registration at some point in the future

I'm sure I'm missing quite a bit but that's a starting point.

What are you requirements ?  Call routing, voicemail, shared call appearance, shared extensions, voicemail to email, direct inbound lines, PBX features, etc. are all supported by the UC320.  I imagine the UC320W will do most if not all of what you're looking for.

I would guess one of the VARS that's active on these forums would be willing to help you as well as the Cisco SMB Support team if you buy the Smal Business Support with the device.

Damon Galt

SInce I work for Cisco, I will want you to buy the UC540 as well. LOL.

Honestly if budget is a constraint and you don't have special requirements, I agree with Damon the odd is that UC320W will do the job nicely. The UC320W is designed to meet the need for the mass with a budget price. Having said that, it is true that UC320W currently does not support remote phone. But you can program it to forward call to your home or cell phone. If that and other advanced VoIP features are important to you, please come up with more cash for the UC540.

From a configuration perspective, I think the biggest hurdle for you will be selecting a SIP provider and making it works. If you decide to DIY, you might want to ask the dealer to program this part for you. Ususally they work with their favorite SIP providers and can help you on this without taking up a lot of their time. The rest you can probably overcome with a little of persistance and help from the knowledgable partners and folks in this forum.

Of course going with a Cisco partner is the easiest way. They can sort out your specific requirements and optimize the configuration for you. But if you must DIY to save money, I suggest you acquire the system early so you have plenty of time to stage it before your office somes online. You can test the entire system at home since all you need is an internet connection.

Cheers and Happy Easter weekends,

Bassanio

stevowils1
Level 1
Level 1

HI I have just purchased the UC320.

My question is that after i have set it up it still says there is a problem with the Fxo line, With a normal analouge phone i had to dial 9 before i dialed the phone number, is this what is causing me problems?

Thanks in advance! :-)

If I understand your question properly then you need to update your dial patterns for your outbound trunk.

I don't have a UC320 handy to check but you need to prefice your outgoing calls on your FXO trunks with a 9.

Are you behind another phone system / PBX currently?

From what I'm understanding, if you took a standard analog handset, and plugged directly into the same line you have on your FXO port you would HAVE to dial a 9 before the 1-***-***-**** number correct?

Hi Steve,

In this (2.1.x) firmware release the UC320 only supports basic FXO dial plans.  If you have a Centrex or Featureline based FXO, that dial plan isn't supported.  We are looking to add support to allow outbound calls on those types of circuits in a future feature release.

Chris

Call your provider and asked them to remove the 9 required to make an outbound call.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

stevowils1
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the help guys, I have got BT changing the line from a feature line back to a normal line.

2 more questions if you dont mind. The fxo line that will plug in to the UC320 carries the broadband, the problem i got is that the fxo line is currently plugged in to a Linksys ADSL2 gateway that is then connected to a Cisco ASA505 adaptive security appliance that then serves the network.

How can i set up the UC320 to use the fxo line but still serve the modem?

The second question is that some of the handsets will be quite away from the uc320 and so have to run long ethernet cables, can i just run one cable from the UC320 and then plug a switch in. Will the Ip Phones work that way or do they need to be directly plugged in to the UC320?

Sorry guys i think i may have bitten off more than i can chew!

Steve Wilson wrote:

Thanks for the help guys, I have got BT changing the line from a feature line back to a normal line.

2 more questions if you dont mind. The fxo line that will plug in to the UC320 carries the broadband, the problem i got is that the fxo line is currently plugged in to a Linksys ADSL2 gateway that is then connected to a Cisco ASA505 adaptive security appliance that then serves the network.

How can i set up the UC320 to use the fxo line but still serve the modem?

Suggest you put a splitter on the FXO and connect one run (unfiltered to the DSL modem) and connect the other run with a DSL filter on the line to the FXO port of the UC320W.

The second question is that some of the handsets will be quite away from the uc320 and so have to run long ethernet cables, can i just run one cable from the UC320 and then plug a switch in. Will the Ip Phones work that way or do they need to be directly plugged in to the UC320?

Sorry guys i think i may have bitten off more than i can chew!

Yes, you can run an Ethernet cable from the UC320W to a switch and the connect the phones to the switch.  If you use a Cisco 200/300 series switch or ESW 500 they can be configured easily to work with the UC320 solution.

Suggest taking a look at the SMART Designs documents on the UC300 Documentation page found here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-14783

Hope this helps.

Chris