cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC560, ATA187s and CME 9 questions.

Brian Rapier
Level 1
Level 1

I originally posted this in the Community forum, not the Support Community forum....so I will report here.

We recently purchased a UC560 along with some ATA187's only to find out that the ATA's are not supported out of the box...

Everyone says "Its supported in CME 9", so how does one get CME 9 on the UC560? I cannot find docuementation anywhere that shows this.

Heck is it even possible to get CME 9 running on the UC560? I see that I would need an IOS update as well, but again I cannot find the correct IOS version for the UC560.

Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

11 Replies 11

Brian Rapier
Level 1
Level 1

I had a feeling that was the case.  I just wonder why every post on here says "It's supported in CME 9".  They fail to mention CME 9 is not supported by the UC500's

As for other options, what would you suggest?

We have a few remote locations that require cordless phones, I do not want to go with the wireless handsets due to cost and the abuse these phones will go through.  So the option of an ATA with a run of the mill cordless phone would be ideal.

Thanks

You can use a VG202 new, or  ATA185 186 from the used market. Both can be configured in SCCP mode for features like dual-link transfer, and few more

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

Thanks, but the vg202 cost is a factor.  Cheaper to go with the wireless phones for some strange reason.

I will look into finding some old 186's if I can.

(Had to figure out the rating system!)

Thanks again.

You can also try to register the ATA187 as third-party SIP phone and should work.

I am new to this, so how would I go about doing that using CCA?

Is there a guide somewhere I can read up on?

Apparently this is yet another unsupported function in the UC.  I think I will box up the $1000+ worth of paper weights I have sitting here and send them back.

Thanks for the help Paolo.  Hopefully we will figure something out with having to spend another $4000.

Hi Brian,

Sorry to hear about the compatibility problems your facing with the new gear you purchased. I understand your frusturation, there have been many times where the compatibility matrix and I didn't get along.

First thing I want to mention is a nifty post I found by another user on the forum, jkittle99:

CME 8.6 - ATA 187 - not working

Try this - I just did with an ATA187 and CME 8.6, and had things working

1) Lie to CME and tell it that the device is an 7961

2) 'create profile' to generate the XML config file

3)  rename / copy the XML config file (SEPxxxxx.cnf.xml) to  ATAxxxxx.cnf.xml (since the ATA has a different filename structure than  the 7961).

4)reboot, and enjoy

Note: I haven't fully vetted all the extra 'what if's with this, but I do have an ATA187 registered and it can make/take calls.

Josh

I'm not a CCA user, but alternatively you can set the ATAs up via SIP as Paolo mentioned from the CLI. This looks to be a decent guide, though not specific to the UC560: 

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/products_configuration_example09186a00808f33eb.shtml

Theres a great deal more information in that article than you really need, as it is looks like theyre setting up the whole cme for just the sip phones, but you can go through and pick out the pertinent parts. Just remember to backup before you give this a go.

I wish I had a ATA187 to test with

Best,

David

Thanks I will give that a shot. 

From what I understand, as soon as use start config with CLI, you break the SBSC and your support goes out the window.  I am not at that point just yet.

Apparently this is yet another unsupported function in the UC.  I think I will box up the $1000+ worth of paper weights I have sitting here and send them back.

Thanks for the help Paolo.  Hopefully we will figure something out with having to spend another $4000.

Why $4,000, I have very many UC and CME customers, and all are pleased about  the little money they spent, compared to the great results they got.

The point is that with Cisco, you have to design/purchase/deploy together with a person of much experience or Certfied Partner, never try DIY, to avoid costly mistakes.

Well lets see.  My option for this solution is to purchase a VG202, I need 4 at a cost of $909 each plus tax/shipping.  Thats where the $4000 comes form.

I will not get into the vendor issue.  The ATA 187 was recommended by the vendor as a replacement for the ATA186.  This whole installation process has been a very trying issue.  This last bit just compounds that fact.  I will leave it at that.

Thanks again I will see if I can "trick" the uc as recommended by David.

I found a solution to this issue.

Return ATA 187's to vendor

Purchase 4 new unsupported EOL ATA 186's

Plug them in and start using them.  It was that simple.  Why on earth the 186's got discontinued without a valid replacement is beyond me.