cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VoIP Config Issue

axiollc
Level 1
Level 1

Rusty with IOS and no real experience with Cisco VoIP. Inherited a client with a cisco 2821 router with voice card and ports (for pots) and a catalyst 2960-S with 7940 IP phones that aren't working for many months now, though they were working previously; the phones continuously search for a call manager etc. and restart. I believe they said a different switch was put in, and it stopped working then, but the original guy that put this in for them is MIA and left no creds or documentation

Aside from having to reset the router's password and recover the startup config (which is intact), the switch has no config, as I saw right away that it should have vlans that sync up with the 2821's config.

Their overall design is data on 10.1.10.x/24, gateway and dns is the ISP router @ 10.1.10.1; the 2821 is only for voice and it's own services (vm, etc.). The phones are on 10.0.3.0/24. I'm not sure if the config originally had this 2821 as the default GW for everything, but we need to keep data on 10.1.10.x/24 and the 10.1.10.1 ISP router as the data GW. Also, the 2960-S had no config at all when I checked it, I added an IP and terminal access so I can remotely make changes.

Please see the attached configurations for the 2821 and the 2960-S, with the 2960-S showing it's original config and my temporary unsaved changes of adding a 10.1.10.252 address and attempting to vlan a port to see if I can get the phone to find the 2821 and it's VoIP config.

The client reports the phones still cyclically search and restart.

Please let me know if you can determine why my test vlan config on that one port on the 2960-S didn't work. Also, you can see that the origina 2821 config shows a dhcp ip pool labeled Computers on a subnet we aren't using at all. Also,there are access lists that reference that subnet and others that arent' being used, so maybe that's part of the issue.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Muhammad Awais Khan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

In the switch, i did not find config for voice vlan. Do the following:

1) Create the Voice Vlan on the switch

2) Configure the access ports in the switch ( dont include the port you use to connect to the Router )

!

vlan 3

name Voice

!

interface range gi1/0/1-48

switchport mode access

switcport voice vlan 3

switchport access vlan 1

!

After that, phone will take vlan 3 and it sends DHCP request to Router from VLAN 3. Router already have scope for VLAN 3 Scope with option 150 IP which will allow Phones to register.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Cisco 2821 is enterprise VoIP product while Voice Systems is dedicated to Small Business kind of products. Better to ask in IP Telephony and Phones.

Sorry, the client is small business, my mistake. 

How does one move a post to a different board?  There is no option to change the "Board" of the existing question.  I then tried marking this one answered, then tried posting the same question on the board recommended, only to have that rejected because it's a "duplicate" of this one.   What determines duplicity?  Just the Title?  Please let me know if anyone can help regarding getting this question to the correct board.

Thank you.

Muhammad Awais Khan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

In the switch, i did not find config for voice vlan. Do the following:

1) Create the Voice Vlan on the switch

2) Configure the access ports in the switch ( dont include the port you use to connect to the Router )

!

vlan 3

name Voice

!

interface range gi1/0/1-48

switchport mode access

switcport voice vlan 3

switchport access vlan 1

!

After that, phone will take vlan 3 and it sends DHCP request to Router from VLAN 3. Router already have scope for VLAN 3 Scope with option 150 IP which will allow Phones to register.

Sorry for the delayed response.  Thank you for your reply.  I see i accidentally used vlan 100.  Oddly the configuration (show run) doesn't show the vlan 100 creation statement, but if you "show mac address-table" it was there and i see cisco macs on that vlan.  I'm applying the vlan 3 configuration change and will advise, as that's probably the primary issue.

However, please let me know if your configuration would allow a computer to work through the phones.  I see that the router has a vlan 1 for the computers/data and the switch's default vlan is vlan 1.  I just want to be sure that aside from the "swtichport voice vlan 3" command, your "switchport access vlan 1" is desirable (or even necessary in this case) to pass data traffic (computer daisy-chained through the phone) versus an example configuration i found that has it "switchport trunk native vlan ...".

Notably, the configuration example had a separate network for the switch and router, from the data/computers, and voice: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice-unified-communications/unity-express/62609-tdcmecue.html