cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect Client (3.1.02040) - Windows 8 won't shut down

cpremo
Level 1
Level 1

I've noticed and issue with Windows 8 and AnyConnect Client version 3.1.02040.  I've tried various things to try to resolve this issue but have hit a brick wall.  Whenever, I run AnyConnect on my Windows 8 PC and then shut it down for the day, the PC won't turn off.  I've ensured my AnyConnect client is disconnected and then quit the application and even killed the VPN service.

Has anyone else seen this issue???   Any resolution???

72 Replies 72

I've tried the uninstall, reboot and reinstall without success.  However, I did have Cisco Jabber installed as well.  I'll try uninstalling all Cisco products and retry tonight.

josh.patton
Level 1
Level 1

I have tried several versions with no luck.  Uninstall/reboot/reinstall sometimes gave me positive results for a few connections but always back the the same results

VPN disconnect takes 10 to 30 seconds, cannot connect again until a reboot and a reboot or shutdown of windows 8 takes an extended period of time and bug check occurs.  Does anyone have a TAC case open that can be referred to so this isn't taken as an isolated issue?

I am having the exact same problem.  It appears that something happens to the network adapter on the disconnect.

When I boot the machine clearly, the 'Network' icon in the system tray appears just fine.  When I connect to my company's VPN using AnyConnect, the icon still remains fine.  However on disconnect, it puts a yellow bang indicator alerting that there is a problem.

At this point, most applications are telling me that they cannot connect since I am not connected to the Internet, however I still am.  (Browsing and Outlook appear to be working fine, however other apps like the Windows Store and Steam tell me that I am not connected.)

If I go to the typical adapter settings area and I right click my network adapter to disable it, the option to disable appears, however nothing happens with the adapter.  (It actually is in a really odd state since it can't detect a network cable disconnect if I try that.)

When I reboot or shutdown, the computer will eventually crash with a BSOD claiming a NETWORK_DRIVER_TIMEOUT_FAILURE.

The machine works perfectly fine as long as I don't make a VPN connection with AnyConnect.

(I've moved back temporarily to IPSEC using Shrew...)

jklein6996
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem with 3.1.02026. I have done some extensive testing and here is what I discovered. Please note that this was the work I did on my system and what I post here may not work on your system, so test carefully.

When I run 3.1.02026, I see the following symptoms (and some of this is repeated from other posts):

1. The VPN client takes 30-40 seconds to Disconnect the connection.

2. When trying to establish a new connection, the client gets all the way up to establishing the VPN adaptor and then dies with a VPN client error.

3. In the Network Connections menu, you can right click and Disable/Enable an adaptor and it doesn't do anything.

4. If you open up the Status menu for an adaptor and try to disable it there, it just sits there and does nothing (no CPU utilization)

5. If you try to delete any software that has to delete a network adaptor (this happened when I tried deleting AnyConnect without a reboot), the uninstall hangs. I had to use Fix It uninstall and CCleaner to finish cleaning out the package.

6. When you open a Command Prompt and use nslookup for DNS queries, the queries time out with no response. This could explain why people are reporting intermittent Internet access. If a site was cached or you used an IP address, it would work. Applications like Outlook and Webex Connect still worked, but couldn't web browse much.

7. Ping still worked (via IP address)

8. Putting the computer to Sleep would cause it to Blue Screen

9. Shutdown and Restart would take a very long time. I usually just held the power button to shut it off.

I took the advice of one of the prior posters and downgraded to 3.0.10057. I have been able to connect/disconnect several times over the last few hours and I have not had the problem.

What I also noticed (as this is key), is that the problem only seem to occur when using my USB to Ethernet adapter and not my Wireless adapter. When I looked a little more closely, I noticed something that may be key to the issue. My Wireless Adaptor (Intel Centrino Advance N-6235) is running a fully compatible Windows 8 driver. My USB to Ethernet adaptor (AX8872 and AX8872B, I have two of them) seem to be running Windows 7 drivers. The drivers installed correctly at the time and they work fine when I'm not using the VPN client. I believe I read somewhere that Windows 7 software and drivers are supposed to work on Windows 8 and I haven't had any problems (except for the VPN).

What may be happening is that the new 3.1.02026 and 3.1.02040 VPN packages may be more sensitive to the use of Windows 7 drivers (or not fully compatible with Windows 8) than the 3.0.10057 VPN package. What you may want to do is verify that your network adaptor is a fully compatible Windows 8 driver or downgrade to 3.0.10057 and try that. So far the downgrade is working for me. I plan to do some more testing to see if I can glean anymore useful information. If I do, I will put out an updated post.

Thanks Jonathan  I had and older version of the Intel Centrino Advanced N-6205 driver (dated 10/7/11 ie windows 7 driver).  I did an update from the device manager and it updated to a version dated 10/4/12.   Fired up AnyConnect and the computer was able to go to sleep with out any problems (normally I would have to discconnect first otherwise i would get a BSOD when sleeping).

I opened a TAC case with Cisco this morning, as I can show that I get the error using one adapter, but not using the other adapter on my machine. If I get a response back from Cisco that is useful, I will post it to this list.

Sorry for being away from this thread for so long.  I've finially configured my VPN device to not push the client update and will try testing with the 3.1.01065 version tonight.  I'll post my results tonight.  Not sure about the driver issue mentioned above, but since my PC is a Dell XPS 8500 pc running Windows 8 Professional, not sure if that is relivent to my issue.

My PC is directly connected to my home router (CAT5e cable) and has a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller with a driver date 6/12/2012 version 8.2.612.2012.

I’ve opened a case with Cisco and will provide them my results tonight.

Last night I tested the VPN again a ran an "ipconfig /all" after disconnecting (see below).  Again, I couldn't restart the PC with out hard powercycling the PC.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
(c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Chris>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Chris-PC
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client V
irtual Miniport Adapter for Windows x64
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-05-9A-3C-7A-00
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 671090074
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-7F-69-8F-F4-B7-E2-0F-1D-F7

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 14:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 96-B7-E2-0F-1D-F7
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F4-B7-E2-0F-1D-F8

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 90-B1-1C-81-01-8E
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1d5b:ce7c:4025:730f%13(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:12:40 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 25, 2013 2:15:00 PM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 361804060
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-7F-69-8F-F4-B7-E2-0F-1D-F7

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz)
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F4-B7-E2-0F-1D-F7

Tunnel adapter isatap.{F0B95F77-E66A-46EF-BB5F-DADBEB666E85}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 13:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

C:\Users\Chris>

OK, I successfully removed the 3.1.02040 client, rebooted my PC.  I then installed the 3.1.0.01065 client, logged into, disconnected, logged back into and disconnected from the VPN service and was able to reboot my PC with no issues.  The disconnects were fast and no issues were noted.  So it seems that it definately is the newer client (3.1.02040).

It appears to be both 3.1.02040 and 3.1.02026.

3.1.0.01065  worked for me. The newest versions do not.  Thanks guys!

mhoward
Level 1
Level 1

Definitely went from working (3.1.01065) to not working (3.1.2 and above).  If you run a route print after disconnecting you can see that it doesn't remove the static routes added after connecting.  Manually removing them fixes any local network issues but the dreaded shutdown issue still exists regardless.

Message was edited by: Micah Howard - corrected versions

All,

I have a direct business relationship with Cisco and have brought this to their attention.  I have reached out to a few of you to get your TAC cases for internal escalation, however if you have a TAC case # directly relating to this and I haven't reached out to you directly, please PM your case number directly to me.

All of them are being forwarded directly up the chain for immediate visability.

Thanks!

Drew

Just got off the phone with Cisco on my TAC case.  They basically said that there is an issue with NDIS6 drivers and other Windows 8 updates and the AnyConnect Client 3.1.02040.  Since my testing is limited to just one test PC (The only Windows 8 we have) I couldn't justify pushing the case up the development tree.

I have an open TAC case and will be testing this weekend. I will test both 3.1.02026 and 3.1.02040 and provide Cisco the DART log results. I will let you know how I make out.

I just tested the newest AnyConnect Client (version 3.1.03103) and still have issues.  So I reverted back to Version 3.1.0.01065.