cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Books/docs that teach me how to setup an IOS based VPN.

cventicinque
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am studying to take the Security+ Test (I plan on tackling the CCSP afterwards) and I would like to get some practical experience with VPNs.

I have a cisco 1605 router on my lan and a version of IOS that supports VPN but, I have no idea how to setup a IOS based VPN.

I was going to buy the ccsp vpn test prep book but they seem to deal with the 3000 VPN product line instead of describing how to do VPNs on a normal router with IOS.

Will that book help or do any of you know another book or some documentation?

Thanks, Chris

2 Replies 2

aacole
Level 5
Level 5

Chris,

I used the Cisco press book `Cisco secure VPN' by Andrew Mason, ISBN 1-58705-033-1

It covers both LAN-to-LAN and client based VPN's, on IOS, PIX and Concentrator product families.

I felt the IOS client VPN information was missing some information, its god on theory but I struggled with it when I came to set up a client connection. However in part that is due to the fact that as the IOS has developed new commands and techniques are available that replace those described in the book.

Anyway I got through the exam and used this information as a basis to work from, so it served its purpose.

"I felt the IOS client VPN information was missing some information, its god on theory but I struggled with it when I came to set up a client connection."

First, thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.

I just want to clarify the quote I took from your response. Do you mean that you were having problems configuing a router to be an IOS client?

In my lab, I will be using my 1605 to host the VPN connection and I have a laptop with the cisco VPN client software for windows installed that will be the client. I am assuming I will not run into the same problem you did but, I you think that I might run into your problem, would you be kind enough to tell me where you got the missing info?

I was directed to this link from another board:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/products_configuration_example09186a00801c4246.shtml

I am going to pick up the book you suggested now. Thanks again for your help.

Have a good day, Chris