cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing Anyconnect MTU on ASA or client

Colin Higgins
Level 2
Level 2

I am trying to fix the MTU bug on the Anyconnect client. I currently have clients connecting to a ASA5545X that is running version 9.0(4) code.

I don't see anywhere to specify

svc mtu 1200

in webvpn or group policy on this code release.

Does anyone know where I go to do this? Can it also be done from the client? After switching software packages and pushing them out to the clients, it broke all the vpn connections

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Diego Lopez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

You can follow this documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa90/configuration/guide/asa_90_cli_config/vpn_anyconnect.html#72264

for this version the command is:

anyconnect mtu 1200

is configured in the group policy.

Regards, please rate!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Diego Lopez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

You can follow this documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa90/configuration/guide/asa_90_cli_config/vpn_anyconnect.html#72264

for this version the command is:

anyconnect mtu 1200

is configured in the group policy.

Regards, please rate!

How does one adjust the Anyconnect MTU on a Cisco Firepower 2100 Managed via the Firepower Management Center?

For non-blacklisted configuration commands that are not exposed via the FMC GUI, you use a FlexConfig to push the commands to the device.

To change the MTU on AnyConnect, edit your DfltGrpPolicy, and go to the AnyConnect tab, and select SSL Settings, there you can change it.

image.png

I know this ticket is set to resolved.

But could you please advise what is best ?

1- set an anyconnect MTU size statically in the Group-policy orr not set anything and the MTU will adjust itself for each VPN client connected?

from the book:

Adjusting MTU Size

You can adjust the MTU size (from 256 to 1406 bytes) for SSL VPN connections established by the client with the anyconnect mtu command from group policy webvpn or username webvpn configuration mode:

[no]anyconnect mtu size

This command affects only the AnyConnect client. The legacy Cisco SSL VPN Client () is not capable of adjusting to different MTU sizes.

The default for this command in the default group policy is no anyconnect mtu . The MTU size is adjusted automatically based on the MTU of the interface that the connection uses, minus the IP/UDP/DTLS overhead.

This command affects client connections established in SSL and those established in SSL with DTLS.

Also if i change the settings, will it affect the users currently connected via VPN like kicking them out or nothing will happen ?

@bern81, did you get the answers to your additional questions? I'm wondering the same thing.

I'm suspecting that there may be a bug in AnyConnect that is not honoring the MTU.  We have MTU 1300 set in the webvpn portion of group-policy, yet I see this in the logs:

Jun 01 2020 10:50:28 FTC-PRD-EXTVP02A : %ASA-6-722036: Group <corp-webvpn-split-tunnel> User <MY02558> IP <70.142.200.203> Transmitting large packet 1491 (threshold 1300).

When I look at the MTU of the tunnel interface on the client machine, it shows 1300, while the physical NIC is still using 1500.  However, there should be no reason why the AnyConnect client is sending frames larger than 1300 through the tunnel, so that the ASA warns that a frame larger than 1300 was received.

-rb

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: