cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASAv - VTI status and protocol DOWN. Where is the problem?

AndreaQuerci
Level 1
Level 1

Hi community!

I want to configure a route-based IPsec VPN between a Juniper vSRX and a Cisco ASAv in my GNS3 LAB. the ASAv version is the 9.8(2) and I read that it supports the Virtual Interface Tunnel (VTI) feature. I created the Tunnel interface but it's both in status and protocol DOWN. Can someone help me to find the problem? I attached my ASAv's configuration. Why is the Tunnel interface DOWN? following my topology:

topology.png

11 Replies 11

Hi @AndreaQuerci

I have a feeling that some parts are missing on your setup. How firewall are talking each other?

Take a look on this link, although the topology is two ASA this can give you a very good grasp.

https://techstat.net/cisco-asa-9-7-route-based-vpn-load-balancing-failover-setup-guide/

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

i think it's not an IPsec problem. if i create a tunnel interface on a router, his interface status goes up immediately. in my ASAv firewall instead, the tunnel interface status stays down even after i created it. it's not a good behaviour..

000.png

I didn´t ask but is it you ASA in routed mode, right? 

currently my ASAv firewall works in routed mode:

asav-rome# show firewall 
Firewall mode: Router

Let me simulate here and I´ll let you know.

I do not have much experience with VTI on the ASA but do have lots of experience with it on IOS routers. I assume the implementation on ASA is similar to IOS router. The behavior of VTI on router is quite different from the behavior of GRE. My experience, like yours, is that when you configure a GRE tunnel that it immediately comes to the up/up state (if there is a viable route toward the tunnel destination in the routing table). But VTI does not behave that way. On routers the status of VTI depends on the negotiation of the crypto relationship. Until there is a successful negotiation of SA between peers the VTI will not be up/up. So I would take a closer look at the crypto config as a possible source of the VTI down status.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I changed a little bit my topology. I replaced my vsrx-milan with an ASAv firewall. currently my main goal is to see the IPsec tunnel works between the two ASA firewalls. I configured both, but the VTI interface is still in down state:

000.png

for me it's very difficult troubleshooting an IPsec tunnel between two interfaces in DOWN state. I attached the configurations. let me know if I have done sometimes wrong.

I have looked at the configs that you posted and have these comments:

- both ASAv have nat that does a dynamic translation on any traffic from inside to outside. I would think you would want to configure so that VPN traffic is not translated.

- - both ASAv have an object configured for an inside network of 192.168.10.0 and use that network in the inside_in ACL. But there is no other mention of that network on either ASAv.

- Milan configuration includes a crypto map. One of the features of VTI is that you do not need a crypto map. I suggest that you remove this crypto map.

- one of the common causes of problems in bringing up ccrypto tunnels is that the shared key for authentication does not match. I suggest that you re-configure this and do it very carefully.

After you attempt to bring up the tunnel (from Milan attempt to ping something in 172.16.20.0 or from rome attempt to ping something in 192.168.100.0) then immediately use show crypto commands to look for ISAKMP and/or IPsec SAs. If there are none (and I suspect that there will not be) then turn on debug for ISAKMP, do the ping again, and post any debug output.

HTH

Rick 

HTH

Rick

- both ASAv have nat that does a dynamic translation on any traffic from inside to outside. I would think you would want to configure so that VPN traffic is not translated.

that NAT policy allows the internet traffic from inside to outside, but for the IPsec VPN it's not a problem, because the VPN traffic flows from inside to vpn and not from inside to outside. in fact the Tu1 interface has been configured with the "nameif vpn" command.

- - both ASAv have an object configured for an inside network of 192.168.10.0 and use that network in the inside_in ACL. But there is no other mention of that network on either ASAv.

that object-group it's not used in my configuration. it's a refusal of an old configuration. but the ACL is wrong, right! i changed it to allow the 192.168.100.0/24 (in asav-milan) and 172.16.20.0/24 (in asav-rome) to the internet, from inside to outside. now the internet traffic works, before it didn't work. 

- Milan configuration includes a crypto map. One of the features of VTI is that you do not need a crypto map. I suggest that you remove this crypto map.

you are right! at the start with my configuration I tried to configure a crypto map, but then I read that it's not used in a route-based IPsec VPN with VTI interfaces. in this configuration we must use the crypto ipsec profile. I deleted the crypto map.

- one of the common causes of problems in bringing up crypto tunnels is that the shared key for authentication does not match. I suggest that you re-configure this and do it very carefully.

the pre-shared key is ok, it wasn't that the problem, I solved it! :)

what was the problem? my inside-acl (how did you say to me) and the routing to the internet. my default static route in asav-milan had a wrong next-hop. because of this, asav-milan didn't reach asav-rome in the public network. now the VTI interfaces are up on both ASA firewalls!!

Thank you for posting back to let us know that you have found the problem(s) and fixed them. (plus 5 for sharing the solution with the forum).

Thank you for the comment about the nat. I do see the point that the tunnel is a different interface and so the nat for the outside interface does not impact it. I am so used to thinking that a tunnel goes out a physical interface and so is impacted by nat on that interface, but with ASA it is a bit different.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

did you manage to establish IPsec btw ASA and Juniper by using VTI interface ?

BR

V

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: