cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Community Ask Me Anything- Configuration, Troubleshooting and Best Practices: AnyConnect Remote Access VPN on ASA and FTD.

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Español  Português Français Русский  日本語 简体中文

This event continues the conversation of our recent Community Ask Me Anything event "Secure Remote Workers".

Here’s your chance to discuss more about the configuration, troubleshooting and best practices for AnyConnect secure mobility client on a Cisco Adaptive Security Appliances (ASA) and Firepower Threat Defense (FTD) and its integration with other Cisco security portfolio devices and technologies like ISE and Duo.

This session provides an opportunity to learn and ask questions about various aspects of AnyConnect implementation (using SSL and Ikev2) including (but not limited to) emergency licenses, configuration, deployment and troubleshooting AnyConnect that provides the security necessary to help ensure that your organization is safe and protected in such critical situation.

To participate in this event, please use the Join the Discussion : Cisco Ask the Expertbutton below to ask your questions

Ask questions from Monday 6 to Friday, April 17, 2020

Featured experts
dinesh.jpgDinesh Moudgil is a High Touch Technical Support (HTTS) Engineer with the Security team at Cisco. He has been working on Cisco technologies for more than 6 years focusing on Cisco Next Generation Firewalls, Intrusion Prevention Systems, Identity Management and Access Control (AAA) and VPNs. He holds a CCNP, CCDP and CCIE #58881 certifications, and multiple vendors certifications such as ACE, PCNSE and VCP.

pulkit.pngPulkit Saxena works as High Touch Technical Support (HTTS) Engineer in Security Domain with Cisco bring nearly 7 years of experience in the industry to the team. He has hands on experience with multiple firewalls, different VPN solutions, AAA and Next Generation IPS along with delivering multiple trainings. Pulkit holds certifications from multiple vendors, namely Cisco and Juniper, (CCIE Security and JNCIA).

jgrudier.jpgJason Grudier is the Technical leader on the VPN TAC team in Raleigh, NC. He has been working for Cisco on the VPN team for six years. Prior to joining the team, he was a network engineer at Labcorp. He works primarily with AnyConnect troubleshooting and configuration across all Cisco platforms as well as DMVPN, GETVPN, Radius, LDAP and Certificate authentications.

josemed.jpgGustavo Medina is a Systems Sales Engineer with the Enterprise Networking Sales team. He has more than 10 years of experience in security and enterprise networking. In his career he has focused on different tasks from technical escalations and partner adoption to the revision of Cisco Certification evaluations. Gustavo holds a CCNA, CCNP CCSI, and a CCIE in security (#51487).

Due to the anticipated volume for this high in-demand event, Dinesh, Pulkit, Jason and Gustavo might not be able to answer each question. Thus, remember that you can continue the conversation directly in the Security community.

By posting a question on this event you're giving permission to be translated in all languages we have in the community.

**Helpful votes Encourage Participation! **
Please be sure to rate the Answers to Questions

133 Replies 133

I did not, I assumed the FTD device did not have the profile since it did not download any to the client after the user connects.

I assume then that you are just trying to make a profile for a local user? That isn't really a supported config design, but if you want specific parameters to go into effect when you are connecting to a VPN headend, then you would need to create a serverlist, hostname, hostaddress section in your xml profile as well. These parameters will link the rest of the profile to the headend connection instead of using the default group policy. It would be best to apply this to the FTD device and have it pushed out to the clients when they connect.

My profile does contain the serverlist and hostentry sections for the servers I want to connect to. I was following along this comment (https://community.cisco.com/t5/vpn/community-ask-me-anything-configuration-troubleshooting-and-best/m-p/4063991/highlight/true#M271759) "If you modify the XML profile and push it to the clients along with your OnConnect script to the right location it will work".

We will be using a combo of GPO/MEMCM to push the files along to the clients.

You would still need the hostname/hostaddress in your xml profile, so the client knows to use that xml profile when you are connecting, otherwise, it will just use the default profile and any of the fields you modify will not take effect.

Yes. It has all of the ServerList, HostEntry, HostName, HostAddress, and UserGroup sections...

Hi again,

We have a physical FMC2500 and I am evaluating the option to use FTDv in VMware ESX.

I know that with ASAv is necessary to purchase a throughput license, is there a similar requirement for FTDv? 

As I could read all what should be required at the minimum in our case is

• FTDv image to deploy
  • Hardware requirements in VMware ESX to spin up the image
  • Availability on the FMC (no additional license needed since it's hardware FMC2500)
  • Anyconnect license available in our smart account for the number of users to connect

Considering we have already ESX hardware available and the FMC and the anyconnect licenses we would purchase anyway, I understand there is no additional costs I am missing, correct?

In case we should then add 

• Threat license for IPS and Security intelligence / geolocation 
  • Malware in case of analysis via AMP of file in transit
  • URL in case of URL filtering requirements

Thanks in advance!

Hi Giovanni,

To answer your question, there is no such requirement like a throughput license for FTDv as needed in ASAv.
So yes, what all steps you mentioned, that should be enough to setup FTDv in virtual environment.
Also, in case you need additional features, one you have the specific licenses purchased, you can install them.

-
Pulkit

Thank you Pulkit,

I am looking at the ordering guide for Firepower Threat Defense Virtual and I am a bit confused, I hope you can help.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/firepower-ngfw-virtual/datasheet-c78-742858.pdf

From your answer I understood that the FTDv does not need a specific license for the Firewall to operate on a Physical FMC as base license is always applied in that case and in our situation only Threat and Anyconnect licenses should be purchased.

Then I saw the following table from the ordering guide : 

Annotation 2020-04-16 124349.jpgAnd I tried to build an Estimate into Cisco Commerce and I can see it has a cost and all the other licenses are at 0 cost...Can you help me understand how this needs to priced ?

I expected the other way around that the Virtual appliance would have 0 cost (besides Smartnet)  and the feature licenses would have a specific cost

Is the FPRTD-V-K9 License required in case we use a physical FMC ?

Annotation 2020-04-16 124349.jpg

I would like to join this event please share the registration link

Hi Sachin,

The way you posted your current message, in the same way you can post query.

It is an open platform.

The event page is :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-events/community-ask-me-anything-event-configuration-troubleshooting/ba-p/4058831

The discussion page is :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/vpn/community-ask-me-anything-configuration-troubleshooting-and-best/m-p/4058826

-

Pulkit

bluesea2010
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

cisco anyconnect  vpn on asa   and wants do posture ,

what are the licenses required on both asa and ISE 

Thanks

Hi Bluesea2010,

So we want to configure anyconnect ISE posture.

Two main licensing requirements are :

1. BASE and APEX license on ISE, out of which BASE must already be there as for each session base license in consumed.
  2. AnyConnect user license on ASA as per your requirement depending on number of users.

Below link provides information on licenses for ISE :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-1/admin_guide/b_ise_admin_guide_21/b_ise_admin_guide_20_chapter_0110.html#id_24976

A few good documents to have basic understanding on configuration and flow :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/adaptive-security-appliance-asa-software/117693-configure-ASA-00.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/identity-services-engine/215236-ise-posture-over-anyconnect-remote-acces.html

-

Pulkit