cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hash standard

joal
Level 1
Level 1

What hash-function does the ciscorouter use and whats the standard?

8 Replies 8

kubn2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

As you used label VPN I guess you are asking for hashes used in VPN/tunnels, so it depends on your configuration, without checking I believe you can configure md5, sha1, sha256, sha384, sha512.

Im reading the cource cyberops and i didnt find any label with "crypto" that's why I just took VPN. Idont know if it is about VPN or nah, the only thing I know is that the teacher asked: "What kind of hash function our Cisco routers use when it comes to passwords and what is the standard." 

Dinesh Moudgil
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hash and encryption algorithms depends on the HW and SW being used but some of the available options are

hash {sha | sha256 | sha384 | md5}

More details:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/sec_conn_ikevpn/configuration/xe-16-6/sec-ike-for-ipsec-vpns-xe-16-6-book/sec-key-exch-ipsec.html#GUID-8AD6BD3A-709A-4179-8630-BD6E253039B5

Thank you,

Dinesh Moudgil

P.S. Please rate helpful posts.

Cisco Network Security Channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/CiscoNetSec/

But what is the standard the ciscorouters use. ( I didn't mean VPN, the there where no label on crypto so I just took something) 

There is no standard cisco router use. you have to customise it according to your needs. however let say some router use a default specific hashing for VPN (know as out of box) example VPN ikev1 phase 1/2 and for ikev2 in phase 1/2.

please do not forget to rate.

Yeah maybe its was the default he meant, can you develop what you mean by default cisco router?

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Cisco route is offering multiple password types and hashing algorithm for passwords. such as

Type 0
this means the password will not be encrypted when the router store it in Run/Start Files

Type 4
this means the password will be encrypted when the router store it in Run/Start Files using SHA-256

Type 5
this means the password will be encrypted when the router store it in Run/Start Files using MD5

Type 7
this means the password will be encrypted when the router store it in Run/Start Files using Vigenere cipher

Type 8

this means the password will be encrypted when the router store it in Run/Start Files using PBKDF2-SHA-256

Type 9

this means the password will be encrypted when the router stores it in Run/Start Files using the script as the hashing algorithm.

Some may or may not available on your router based on IOS and Hardware versions. Standard is changing based on the time and hardware and software version. 

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Oh,

I double-check the question and found out from the comment below that you are looking for a VPN. Therefore, there is no standard or default. You can go ahead according to your needs and IOS version support. Some older IOS can not support the latest algorithms.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: