cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPSec VPN & AnyConnect

tparrettcisco
Level 1
Level 1

We have been using a traditional IPSec client VPN for sometime in our network and works great.  Running into problems now with the vpn client on Windows 8 and need an alternative.  I'm starting to look into the clientless SSL VPN, but want to make sure the old VPN does not get "disturbed".  For the people on Windows 7 they want to continue using the old client.  For the people on Win8 we need another fix though.  Primarily use the VPN for access to server drives (windows) and terminals (windows).  Suggestions?  Thoughts?  Much appreciate ideas because I'm not at all familiar with this area.

Thanks 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For your purposes of access to server drives and terminals I would think that client based AnyConnect would be better than clientless VPN. I have a customer who is currently looking at this same issue. They have been using the traditional Cisco VPN client and are running into issues with new OS. They are planning to transition to the AnyConnect client.

I have both the traditional client and the AnyConnect client installed on the same PC and installing AnyConnect has not had any effect on the traditional client.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

Setting up AnyConnect on your ASA should not impact your existing VPN (assuming that you are careful in setup not to change something that is part of the existing VPN config). I have done it several times and the existing VPN was not impacted. If you want to be especially careful you could create a new tunnel group and new policies for AnyConnect and leave the existing ones as they are.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For your purposes of access to server drives and terminals I would think that client based AnyConnect would be better than clientless VPN. I have a customer who is currently looking at this same issue. They have been using the traditional Cisco VPN client and are running into issues with new OS. They are planning to transition to the AnyConnect client.

I have both the traditional client and the AnyConnect client installed on the same PC and installing AnyConnect has not had any effect on the traditional client.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the quick response Richard...very helpful....one more question though....setting up the AnyConnect on the ASA will not affect my existing VPN at all....will it?  As you might guess from this question I'm nervous and just now looking at how to setup AnyConnect.  Any good AnyConnect tutorials would help too :)   Thanks again.

Setting up AnyConnect on your ASA should not impact your existing VPN (assuming that you are careful in setup not to change something that is part of the existing VPN config). I have done it several times and the existing VPN was not impacted. If you want to be especially careful you could create a new tunnel group and new policies for AnyConnect and leave the existing ones as they are.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick