Views
Helpful
Replies

Reason 442: Failed to Enable Virtual Adapter - Windows 7 64 bit

Pvnskc1983
Level 1
Level 1

Some details about the issue.

I'm trying to connect to my client's network using VPN Client version 5.0.07.0290. The user authetication is done by providing RSA SecureID token value. After entering proper credentials, the client window gets struck at 'Securing Communication Channels...' message in status bar and reports 'Reason 442: Failed to Enable Virtual Adapter' error after few mintues. I have confirmed that this version works for other people in my team , so I'm guessing it has something to do with my system settings than the client itself.

Below are the trobleshooting tips that I have already tried.

1. Uninstall and Reinstall the client.

2. Enable WinXP SP2 compatability for ipsecdialer.exe and vpngui.exe.

3. Clicking 'Diagnose' on the Citrix Virtaul Adapter connection in Networks and Sharing centre, reports no issues.

4. Enabling Network sharing for Local Area Network and disaling Wireless Networks

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit Enterpise OS.

Appreciate any suggestions to resolve this issue.

Thanks,

PVNSKC

Update: 9/7/2011

OK, things look much better after a good vacation, always!!!

I tried to connect today by reinstalling the client after a weekend shutdown (I don't believe the cold reboot stuff, but hey, worth a try! ) and it did work. The only change I did today was to disable the Wireless Connection adapter in Networks Connections. I'm not sure whether that fixed or not cause I had tried that already. Anyway, below is my current configuration which is working for now!

1. Below executables are running in the XP compatability mode.

cvpnd.exe, VAInst64.exe, vpngui.exe

2. Local Area Connection is allowed for 'Sharing'

3.  Registry is updated with below entry.

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters /v ArpRetryCount /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

4. Wireless Connection is disabled.

Thank you all for the responses.

PVNSKC

43 Replies 43

Just to add here that this solution will work also on WIN10 64.

1- Login by Administrator.

2- run>cmd>cd\>reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters /v ArpRetryCount /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

3- run>regedit> go manually to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Services>CVirtA

Edit: DisplayName value to: Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows (only)

This will solve CISCO VPN client 5.x and Aventail VPN on WIN10 64bit.

Thanks a lot - works!

This fix worked for me also on Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit. Thx all! 

Works for me too Windows 10 64bit

Hi Ahmad,

Thanks a lot, it worked for me too windows 10 64 Bit.

Regards,

Rajesh.S

HI Team,

we are able to connect in Lan network by using following steps,but we are unable to connect through datacard.

kindly suggest.

Regards,

Rajesh.S

This also worked.. thanks a bunch

Removing the OEM Variable and leaving the Cisco System VPN

Restarting VPN Client --> Boom it worked

this fix worked for me on 64-bit W 10 - not even needing reboot.

Thank you!!  This is the fix I needed to make it work on Windows 10 as well.

This link you shared is what did it for me. Thank you Denisya01981

I exported the registry key for windows 10. Maybe it will save someone 2 minutes.

tonewtown
Level 1
Level 1

When I get this error, i've noticed that the virtual adapter fails to enable.  If I manually enable the adapter and then retry the VPN connection, it always works.  I'm trying to figure out why the VPN client no longer automatically enables the connection.  You may want to try enabling the adapter manually and reconnecting.  Workaround, not a solution....yet.

For me it worked, when I disabled IPv6 on all network connections.

Guys I was having the same problem, and disabling the Internet Connection Sharing did the trick.

If the connnection you are using to go out to the Internet has ICS enabled, this problem might occur, You don't have to disable any wireless adapters, in fact right now my LAN is disconnnected and I am using wireless to go out (and this had ICS on).

Regards

Farrukh Haroon

CCIE-SEC, JNCIE-SEC

Thanx Mr Farruk Haroon disabling ICS has solved my issue.

Regards

Mohammed Ali Dalvi

Margresse
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same problem. Here's what I did to make it work:

Start-> Run-> services.msc *Enter*

Look for Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) in the list. Doubleclick.

Change startup type to Disabled.

Below Service Status, press Stop.

Then press Ok, to close dialog. Restart VPN client, and it worked again this time. Woohoo.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: