cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Site-2-Site redundant VPN Tunnel from remote office to Head Office on two different ASA's 5510

mehmoodch
Level 1
Level 1

I have firewall ASA 5510 in EDN-UK1 main office (internet connection with Virgin) and having 7 remote firewalls in other countries.

EDN_UK1 firewall has VPN connection with each of 7 Remote firewalls. 

Now we are going to install one more EDN-UK2 firewall in main office (internet connection with BT) to use as standby for all remote 7 offices VPNs. In case EDN-Uk1 fails the EDN-UK2 start serving the remote VPNs without interruption.

I have studied Active/standby failover and GRE over IPsec tunnel with OSP but I can’t find what would be the correct configurations to implement this task.

18 Replies 18

Hi,

You just configure both IPsec tunnels, as for reconvergence:

- configure ISKAMP keepalives to detect ISP failure without the link actually going down; otherwise you'll end up black holing traffic

- your routing needs to failover as well (when the link does not go down); if you use static routing, use tracking

Remember that routing needs to converge first, as from an order of operation point of fire, routing happens first (so de egress interface is selected) and encryption afterwards, based on the egress interface crypto configuration.

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

Hi Cristian,

Thanks for reply.

Sure but do you have any sample config which you can share across? Would appreciate your kind help.

Thanks 

Hi,

The only thing missing from the following link is the ISAKMP keep alive configuration (and failover if you have redundant ASA's):

http://www.techspacekh.com/configuring-fail-over-ipsec-site-to-site-vpn-with-dual-wan-links-and-ip-sla-on-cisco-asa-firewall-9-x/

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

Hi Cristian,

Thanks for pointing me towards the right direction. I already had a look through to your shared link too.

In my case, I would have 2 x ASAs (Active/Failover) on each site i.e. total 4 x ASAs with independent WAN links having redundant IPSEC VPN tunnels connected to same LAN on either site same as attached HA network design shared by Carlos earlier as:

Let me give a go with your shared link and would let you know how that goes.

Thanks