Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to access local LAN using Client to Site VPN on RV340

rocky515
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm trying to setup Client to Site VPN on RV340 and MAC High Sierra.  I setup the client to site VPN configuration on RV340 and Cisco IPSec on the MAC.  The client VPN shows connected, and this is the same when I check the VPN status on RV340 that shows the client is connected.

The issue I face, I cannot connect to the local LAN - VLAN 10.  On the MAC, I ping to the gateway and it seldom returns a reply.  I also tried to remote a Windows desktop a computer on the VLAN10 and I used wireshark to trace.  I see that the traffic from the VPN client is sent to the local VLAN 10 desktop but the replies are TCP retransmission to the VPN client.  The Ping request from the VPN client to the VLAN 10 desktop shows (no response found!)

I have 6 VLANs with VLAN 1 as the default (not used), and VLAN 50 as Native VLAN

VLAN 1, 10, 20, 30, 50, 120  - I only need to connect to VLAN 10 network from the VPN

Port 1 - Native VLAN 50, VLAN 10, VLAN 20

This looks like a routing issue to me.  The problem is, when I created the Client to Site VPN it only asked for a range of IP that will be assigned to VPN clients and not the subnet.

Has anyone had this issue before and how did you solve this?   I followed the posts on how to create the Client to Site VPN and even used admin accounts, simple passwords without special characters still no success.   

Thank you for anyone who can clarify this.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rocky515
Level 1
Level 1

I updated the FW yesterday and it seems to be OK.

No other issues that I've noticed

I can also connect to the client to site VPN even during busy work hours with high traffic

I'll keep monitoring this.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to allow the ACL for the VPN use to access local resources

post the screen shot of the config. since we do not know what is IP address VPN users, and what is the VLAN IP address schema for your setup.

provide more information to asists better.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks for the response,

I also thought it was the ACL, but it's the router itself.   

I previously added ACL to allow All traffic to a VLAN but that did not work, so I removed this ACL.   There's very limited changes that can be done on the RV series.  Being new to these series just made it confusing for me.

There is no separate VLAN or subnet assigned to the VPN clients - at least that's what I can see from the config.   

After I rebooted the router, I was able to connect to the VPN smoothly, without any single packet dropped.  Though when there's normal traffic during business hours, the  issue reoccurs.  

I'll upgrade the firmware of this router, hopefully it wont mess it more than it is now

Device Model: RV340
PID VID: RV340-K9 V02

Current Firmware Version: 1.0.01.18
Latest Version Available on Cisco.com: 1.0.02.16

Johnatan Dire
Level 1
Level 1

I’ve been using VeePN for almost a year now and have been very happy with it. It’s fast and allows manual selection of a variety of servers around the US and the rest of the world. Last year they had a sale on New Year, so I’d recommend waiting until New Year for a sale again, if you don’t need to buy one right now.

rocky515
Level 1
Level 1

After numerous troubleshooting, I was close to giving up.  Then one step that I still had not done, to restart the router.   After restarting the router, I was able to connect to the VPN and access the LAN computer via RDP without problems!

The next morning, during business hours when traffic is normal, I again cannot connect to the VPN.   This router is a lemon, though there is a little hope from the new firmware they released last December 2018.

Device Model: RV340
PID VID: RV340-K9 V02
Current Firmware Version: 1.0.01.18
Latest Version Available on Cisco.com: 1.0.02.16
Latest Checked: 2019-03-21,22:16:03

I believe that this RV series are not as good as the "Cisco" brand portrays.  I will upgrade the firmware to version 1.0.02.16 on Sunday, and hopefully it will not even break it!   

rocky515
Level 1
Level 1

I updated the FW yesterday and it seems to be OK.

No other issues that I've noticed

I can also connect to the client to site VPN even during busy work hours with high traffic

I'll keep monitoring this.

Glad to hear all working, if this is resolved mark as resolved, so it will be usefull for other community members.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: