cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client (ver 3) and AOL 7.0 - Any Know Problems

dennis
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone tried this combination yet? There has been some problems in the past with the client and AOL. Release notes for Client ver 3.1.1 indicate it works with AOL 6.0 but nothing about 7.0. I have a remote user who wants to try but I hate to have him go ahead and end up with problems.

8 Replies 8

nathan_young
Level 1
Level 1

I have been using client 3.0 - 3.1.1 w/ AOL 7 even before the final release and it work fine. I haven't had any problems with it at all.

nkorosi
Level 1
Level 1

I'm currently attempting to configure the VPN Client 3.1 with AOL 7 and have had nothing but problems. Each time I authenticate and establish an IPSec session to our 3000 concentrator, AOL disconnects me. If I connect to our PIX using DES & MD5 everything seems fine, but that's one giant step backwards. Anybody else have any problems or solutions? Thanks - Nick

I am experiencing the same issue when connecting to our PIX. Everytime I get the IPSec connection AOL disconnects. Did you have to do anything special in the configuration to allow the VPN connection to the PIX from and AOL dialup?

nkorosi
Level 1
Level 1

After a little bit of research it appears that AOL 7.0 is connecting to a different IP Subnet. Where AOL version 5/6 use the AOL Dialup Adapter and the AOL Adapter, version 7 is using the PPP Adapter with the Microsoft VPN Adapter and WAN Miniport adapter. Because of the two technological differences, it appears that they have configured a different subnet for each method. Does anybody know or think it's possible that they are blocking IPSec - DES or 3DES traffic?

Please note that this information is just an observation and is not a known fact.

mike-t
Level 1
Level 1

I just recently ran into that issue. The fix?

download the latest VPN client from Cisco. Version 3.5

cjacinto
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Use the latest 3.5 client and make sure you are doing split tunnelling. AOL uses some form of keepalive connection that doesn't get sent to AOL from the client if the config is on all tunnelling mode.

I'm using 7.0 of AOL and 3.5.1 of VPN client. I can attach very small files but Whenever i try to attach larger files AOL hangs. I only had the vpn client installed but not running. When i un-installed the VPN client the attachments started working again.

Not applicable

Similar issue with my new AOL7.0 DSL. Just having the VPN software installed but not running limits me to about 3-5 minutes of AOL access. Talking to AOL tech support they say "we do not support VPN yet", while their sign up says " MAY not work with corporate LAN". I am and end user, not network support. It sounds as though some have had success but I have the the latest 3.5 VPN and still no luck. Is there anything I can tell my network support about this split tunneling solution?

Thanks.