cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Webex Service ATMGR.exe Taking 20% CPU

NismoZ
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone having a problem with Cisco WebEx Service taking 20% CPU when just sitting there? More specifically, the ATMGR.exe process in Cisco's software. When this happens, it runs the laptop fan and sucks resources, so it's annoying.

If I end task on Cisco Webex Service, fan and CPU goes down and ATMGR.exe no longer takes resources. Trouble is, I can't really pinpoint when the CPU use starts back. Even when I start WebEx meetings again, ATMGR.exe doesn't use CPU right off the start, so I'm not sure what triggers it.  Same after a reboot.  This just started with either a recent windows or cisco update.

Company PC:
i7-10610U, 16Gb Ram, SSD
WebEx Meetings: 41.10.7.14
WebEx (teams) 41.10.0.20280
Win10: 21H1 with patches updated

7 Replies 7

nicolasharding
Level 1
Level 1

I spoke too soon, again after waling from sleep I had 60%+ CPU usage, I killed atmgr.exe, CPU% dropped immediately, atmgr.exe restarted by itself and all was good again. Come on Cisco there's some bug in your software, fix it.

nicolasharding
Level 1
Level 1

After the latest webex update in late Nov this problem disappeared for me.

mr_mac
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same issue. I just renamed the offending file to "atmgr.exe.orig" which stops it running and it seems to have no detrimental effect in meetings. Sorted

jedavis
Level 4
Level 4

I just ran into this problem myself.  I found 2 atmgr.exe running.  I can kill them, but one immediately starts back up.  This leads me to believe that it is a service, but I can't find a service named "Cisco Webex*" or "Webex*" or anything else that resembles a Webex service.  When I go into the Webex GUI to disable auto-start I find that option is not checked.  But autoruns shows me that the CiscoMeetingDaemon is starting via a HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run registry entry.

The new atmgr.exe that starts after I kill it isn't eating CPU, but it irritates me that I can't make it go away.  I could go rename atmgr.exe but I don't want to get into that mess.  How can I kill this process without having it restart?

EDIT: It doesn't appear to be a service.  Rather, another process, CiscoWebexStart.exe restarts atmgr.exe when it is killed.  So if you kill CiscoWebexStart.exe and THEN kill atmgr.exe you are golden.

I hate applications that behave like malware.

EDIT 2: Now it appears that it is spawned by WebExHost.exe, so kill that before atmgr.exe

nicolasharding
Level 1
Level 1

Exactly my issue as well. i have a brand new dell 5420 with the all driver, window & webex updated to the latest versions. When waking from sleep my CPU runs anywhere from approx 20-50% for no reason. When the ATMGR.exe process is killed CPU load drops immediately. I am running an external Microsoft Lifecam HD 3000. This has something to do with Webex Meetings. I have read in other forums mentioning exactly the same things.

Interesting in the fact that coming out of sleep mode does it for you.  That might be along the lines of how I trigger the issue.  I've tracked my occurrence down to anytime I RDP into my desktop from another machine, using the same Windows account.  Once I am RDPed in, ATMGR.exe goes up to 20% use.  Ending task on ATMGR.exe frees the CPU back up until the next time that I change RDP sessions.  The only time it goes back up again is if I physically go to the machine that RDPed into and log in there, ATMGR.exe CPU goes to 20% again and stays there until you end task on ATMGR.exe.

Hi,

had the same issue with this service "Cisco Webex Service". I solved it by uninstalling all applications with "Webex" in its name, there were two of them on my system, followed by installing the webex client downloaded from webex.com. Now I have one application called "Webex" in the "Apps" list and it seems to work properly. 

Regards

Joe