Views
Helpful
Replies

ID Spoofing in Webex Phone Calls?

asthomps
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Good morning,

I was contacted this morning by a person who said I had called her twice last night via Webex. I do not have phone services set up in my Webex, and the number that called her is not my number, but it is my name that shows up as the caller. Is this a possible security issue?

Thanks -- Ashley Thompson

1 Accepted Solution

kctrey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Posting this reply here so we can mark this as Solved. Looks like this was just a simple wrong number from someone who had a very similar name in the same part of the country. It would be very hard for someone to "spoof" Caller ID in general, but even harder with Webex Calling, so I am glad we were able to confirm that wasn't the case here.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

dtibbe
VIP
VIP

Well, depending on your PSTN provider and setup, it might also be quite easy. Specially in forwarding scenarios, the original caller id is often presented at the forwarded device (CLIP no screening). If you've access to the SIP packages (CUBE or another telephony switch), you may modify it as well.

For sure, all this must be done according to your local laws and regularitories.

kctrey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Posting this reply here so we can mark this as Solved. Looks like this was just a simple wrong number from someone who had a very similar name in the same part of the country. It would be very hard for someone to "spoof" Caller ID in general, but even harder with Webex Calling, so I am glad we were able to confirm that wasn't the case here.