Views
Helpful
Replies

Internal HP Webcam Random Turns off in Video Calls/Meetings

JustinResuta
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I work in the IT department for the University of Maryland Medical System.

I'm currently attempting to assist an end user who is experiencing issues with her internal HP webcam randomly turning off during video calls, and most importantly, meetings. 

Sometimes it will turn itself off after only a few seconds. Sometimes it can take a few minutes. But it will randomly just turn the video off. I can click on "Start Video", and the webcam video will start working again. But having to do this every few minutes or every few seconds isn't reasonable.

I've looked through the Video Settings in Webex, and everything seems to check out. I turned off the fake background in case that was causing the issue, but it still persists. The end user has the latest drivers for the internal webcam, we've ran all the Windows Updates available, including the BIOS/Firmware updates, Device Manager states that the device is working correctly.

If I open the Camera Application built into Windows, the video never cuts out or turns itself off. Which leads me to believe that this is an issue within Webex itself. The end user is hardwired into our network, so it can't be a spotty wifi connection.

Has anyone else ever encountered this issue before? Or have any advice for the next troubleshooting steps I should take?

Any help or guidance would be truly appreciated. I'd like to be able to resolve this issue for the end user. Thank you for your time.

2 Replies 2

dtibbe
VIP
VIP

Just an idea: there is a global shortcut for enabling/disabling your own video (CTRL+SHIFT+V). Maybe they hit the combination accidently?

Thank you for your reply. I noticed that as well. But while I was accessing her computer remotely and testing a Webex video call with her, her hands were nowhere near the keyboard.

I even brought up the fact that ctrl+shift+v will enable/disable the camera, but neither of us were pressing those keys.

I wish that it was something as simple as this, but I just can't seem to figure out what could be causing the issue. 

Thanks again for your reply, though. I appreciate it.