cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex bot for my team

jpfuntne
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have a desire to use a Webex bot, likely from a Jenkins scheduled job, to alert members on my team (about a dozen engineers) of situations.  I created a bot and can use the messages REST API to send a message to someone but it occurs to me that this bot is tied to only me and poses problems:

• If I leave my job, the bot will go away, won't it?
  • I don't know of a way that team members can co-manage the bot, although I guess there isn't much need.  Sure, I can change the bot name or icon and regenerate the access token but I don't envision any of these things changing very often.

Questions

• Is there a way to create a bot at a team-level?
  • Can the bot I created be managed by anyone who has the access token?
  • Can a bot be adopted by a team member if I were to leave my job?  Assuming I have the presence of mind to look for a new caretaker!
2 Replies 2

jpfuntne
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks for your reply.  I will explore creating a placeholder user for my team.

dstaudt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In general, a bot (or other type of Webex app), is owned by - and can only be managed by - the creating user.  Having the bot access token is not enough to be able to manage the bot.  It may make sense to create a place-holder Webex user for use by a team (e.g. with credentials known to the team members) working with a bot.  (This idea is a bit theoretical, and foibles of the backing user identity system - CI/AD/etc. - may make this tricky.)
However, org admins can transfer ownership of the bot/app via https://applications.webexbots.cloud/