cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MCS rate disabled 0 to 15 must be set at minimum, as supported

daswann
Level 1
Level 1

I'm running Cisco WLAN config analyzer and get this message in red under Global Messages-

MCS rate disabled, all rates from 0 to 15 must be set at minimum, as supported otherwise it may generate interoperability issues with some clients. Who ever configured this controller did disable MCS 0. We do have some older legacy 802.11a clients. Anyone have any war stories where they experienced this first hand and with what type of client? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Dastas

Disabling the MCS (Modulation and Coding Scheme) would only affect 802.11n/ac clients, the older legacy clients would be using the older data rates (6-54 Mbps)

You should not disable any of MCS data rates on a wireless controller.

So going off that turning back on all the MCS rates will not affect legacy clients.

I would recommend turning it back on (believe will require outage) and seeing if anything breaks which i suspect wont.

It is generally recommended to disable 802.11b data rates (1,2,5.5 and 11 Mbps) and low OFDM rates (6 & 9 Mbps) on both bands, but for that you would need to determine if the legacy devices still require these to work.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Bernhard82
Level 1
Level 1

Nope, but I never understood why any would want to disable MCS rates, legacy yes that I understand

Thank You Bernhard

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Dastas

Disabling the MCS (Modulation and Coding Scheme) would only affect 802.11n/ac clients, the older legacy clients would be using the older data rates (6-54 Mbps)

You should not disable any of MCS data rates on a wireless controller.

So going off that turning back on all the MCS rates will not affect legacy clients.

I would recommend turning it back on (believe will require outage) and seeing if anything breaks which i suspect wont.

It is generally recommended to disable 802.11b data rates (1,2,5.5 and 11 Mbps) and low OFDM rates (6 & 9 Mbps) on both bands, but for that you would need to determine if the legacy devices still require these to work.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank You Haydn

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card