cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CBW150AX VLAN tagging does not work for VLAN 1

vhud-tv
Level 1
Level 1

I installed a few CBW150AX into a customers network. MAnagement VLAN is distinct, the switch ports are set to Trunk with the management VLAN as the Primary VLAN ID.

I created 2 WLANs, one with tagged VLAN ID 19 (which works correctly, the devices get access to the correct subnet). The other one with VLAN Tagging enabled and VLAN ID set to 1 is not working properly, as the connected devices are assigned to the management VLAN (untagged on the switch port).

As the general advise for those devices is to make the management VLAN untagged on the switch port, this seems to be a bug for me. VLAN 1 is tagged on the switch ports the APs are connected.

The Access Points are connected to CBS250 and SG500 switches (the latter are planned to be replaced with CBS350).

Any suggestions welcome. If this is considered a bug, please let me also know. I would the find a workaround which would be corrected once this is adressed.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Maurice_
Level 1
Level 1

You have to change the native VLAN ID on the CBW150AX to something other than 1 (Wireless Settings / Access Points / Global AP Configuration). Whatever VLAN ID is configured there will never get tagged, even if configured otherwise in a WLAN.

I did change this to 11 an tagging VLAN 1 works fine for me.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Hi

Vlan 1 is not tagged and this can be your problem. Did you try to use another vlan instead 1 ?

Hi Flavio,

sure, this is what I wrote. The AP port works as trunk, supporting 802.1Q VLANs. Untagged is VID 0 - the switch port's PVID. The WLAN is set to "tag packets" with VID set to 1. Thus the packets should be sent with VID 1. However, the AP does ignore the setting.

Another WLAN configured to tag packets with VID 19 works as expected.

So VLAN tagging works by principle. However the "tag packets" configuration value is ignored for the VID 1 WLAN.

I think  I was not clear. But default Cisco device does not use Tag  when sending traffic on vlan 1 and it seems to me you  are expecting the traffic on vlan 1 to be tagged.  That´s why  I asked if you tried to use another vlan instead vlan 1.

That sounds to me that the "tag packet" configuration option is ignored when the VID of the WLAN is set to 1.

This contradicts the settings in the SG/CBS switches, where you can configure a port to tag packets also for VID1 (trunk, PVID 5 f.e.).

You also wrote "by default", which means it can be changed. I want to change that, unfortunately the the according configuration option is ignored by the device. Is it by principle that the CBW will not set VLAN ID 1 even if the configuration option is set?

As far as I know and there are a lot of post here on the forum about it, Vlan1 wont be tagged on Cisco switch.

I believe this bahavior is sitll valid for SMB switches. 

vhud-tv
Level 1
Level 1

Well, this is not the way it works. As you can see on the screenshots I have configured a LACP port aggregation group with a PVID of 15 and all other VID configured as tagged. The LACP adapter team works correctly on the untagged VID15 VLAN. a VM on the device is attached to the tagged VLAN 1. This is only an example, all hypervisors are configured the same way and separated from the infrastructural network devices, end user devices and servers accessed by end user devices.

The switch is an SG550X-24F. This works the same way on the SG200/300/500 switches I had deployed and also on the CBS250 switches I deployed on the customers site.

Maurice_
Level 1
Level 1

You have to change the native VLAN ID on the CBW150AX to something other than 1 (Wireless Settings / Access Points / Global AP Configuration). Whatever VLAN ID is configured there will never get tagged, even if configured otherwise in a WLAN.

I did change this to 11 an tagging VLAN 1 works fine for me.

Thank you very much, this was the setting I looked for.