Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WAP 581 Very Low data rates and throughput

proangelos
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

in the last 10 days i have very low bit rates on my devices. on AC and on N mode, same with 5GHz and 2.4. My devices barely reaching 190Mbps data rate and when i am testing with IPerf  the maximum throughput i get is 60Mbps actual speed.

This wasn't always the case, the AP was performing normally in AC mode having my devices locking and 790 or 800 Mbps data rates. The AP is in 1.0.3.1 firmware version, i tried to downgrade or to reset at factory defaults without result same very low data rates, having my cellphone showing sometimes 54Mbps data rate.

i had a spectrum analyzer running as well but seems that the channel my AP is operating on 2.4 & 5 is clean.

One strange thing is that in the monitor->clients it always  show me higher bit rate than the one i see on my devices.

I am suspecting a hardware failure here but i would definitely need assistance from an expert to narrow it down 

5 Replies 5

Sujoy Paria
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Any changes happened in your Network and environment recently (in last 10 days since when you are facing problem) where the WAP581 deployed? Whether log details on the WAP581 device showing anything suspicious?

Hello,

thanks for your reply, no changes have been done lately, the issue is narrowed down firstly at the data-rates the devices are locking with the AP and secondly with the internet performance of course, behind the AP there is a Cisco ASA but configuration hasn't changed and it would be very weird to affect this type of issue. The logs are not indicating any type of attack.

The AP is deployed in home environment. i was about to return back the AP to the store i bought it as it has still warranty but i made a last attempt, i narrowed my  band to 20/40 MHz and my devices started to lock in higher speeds at around 400Mbps which is the maximum for this mode. I changed back to 80 and all of the sudden the devices were having normal AC speeds reaching 800Mbits.

For some strange reason my internet download speed remained noticeably lower than my upload but i had stable connection.

This is giving me the impression that somehow i am suffering from a kind of interference at 5GHz.

Could you please recomend me any reliable tool which could help me to properly find out if this is the case and if it is why my AP is not changing channel when this happens?

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed reply. You may search in google to get any reliable tool to detect interference in 5 GHz.

And regarding changing channel due to interference in 5 GHz radio, please check whether Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) is enabled for 5 GHz radio or not under advance settings.

Hello,

thanks for your reply, unfortunately, the access point few days after my post failed, it couldn't push not even 1Mbps of traffic and i returned it back to the supplier, i am waiting for the replacement.

Hi,

Thanks for the update. Hopefully, the replacement product will work fine.