cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Couple quick questions using RV180W as access point

shead1111
Level 1
Level 1

There seems to be no 'save' to save the current running config - is that right? The docs say

"For example, if you made changes to the current configuration but forgot to save it, after 24 hours, the device automatically saves the currently-running configuration as the “mirror” image."
"forgot to save it" seems to imply there is a save button or link BUT WHERE? Is it because it's in access point mode the menu differs? Or a browser or java issue or something?

Does that mean I'm best not to ship this out to the branch until I wait 24 hours? If it's not in mirror yet, I cannot 'copy mirror to startup'.

Is it normal that signal strength appears poor? I am one room away from it and I am getting 2/4 or 2/5 or 3/5 bars on various computers and phones. Our home Linksys EA3500 is sitting 2 feet away from it and that one is always consistently full bars.

Maybe just best to use an alternate device for general wireless and  stick this one in the stockroom primarily for wireless barcode  scanner. In that case, while it's in access point mode, can the scanner base be plugged in one of the other LAN ports?

MTU setting is not accessible while in Access Point mode. They's on ADSL and have had to lower their computer MTUs to play nicely. Is there _ANY_ far flung chance that default 1500 may interfere while in AP mode or it absolutely does not come into play at all?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

shead1111,

The "Backup Mirror Configuration" and "Copy Mirror to Startup" buttons have been grayed out in every RV180(W) and RV220W that I have seen. I have also read what you noted and I'm sorry to say that I cannot explain it. If you save the settings on the page where you made the changes you should be able to shut the router down and ship it. The settings should remain.

Regarding signal strength, it really depends on the environment that the device is installed in. I have had reports from customers stating that the RV180W had great signal strength in one office but when it was moved to another location with the same settings the strength was poor. If you have a different AP with better strength in a given location, use it instead.

When the router is in AP mode the LAN ports will act as a switch. From the Admin Guide:

Access Point

The Cisco RV180W acts as the access point in the network. The WAN port is disabled, and the four Ethernet ports can be used to connect to another router or switch.

On the LAN the MTU should be 1500. You should only be concerned about the MTU on the WAN port of the gateway, and usually only if you have DSL. (Usually 1492 on the WAN port works well)

Please reply and let us know if this helps or if you have any other questions.

- Marty

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

shead1111,

The "Backup Mirror Configuration" and "Copy Mirror to Startup" buttons have been grayed out in every RV180(W) and RV220W that I have seen. I have also read what you noted and I'm sorry to say that I cannot explain it. If you save the settings on the page where you made the changes you should be able to shut the router down and ship it. The settings should remain.

Regarding signal strength, it really depends on the environment that the device is installed in. I have had reports from customers stating that the RV180W had great signal strength in one office but when it was moved to another location with the same settings the strength was poor. If you have a different AP with better strength in a given location, use it instead.

When the router is in AP mode the LAN ports will act as a switch. From the Admin Guide:

Access Point

The Cisco RV180W acts as the access point in the network. The WAN port is disabled, and the four Ethernet ports can be used to connect to another router or switch.

On the LAN the MTU should be 1500. You should only be concerned about the MTU on the WAN port of the gateway, and usually only if you have DSL. (Usually 1492 on the WAN port works well)

Please reply and let us know if this helps or if you have any other questions.

- Marty

shead1111
Level 1
Level 1

UPDATE: The above was running 1.0.26. Still no change to the backup options in 1.0.4.14, at least not in AP mode.

Re: signal strength - had 2 more units in - both at full 5 bars; so we're chalking that one up to a poor radio.