Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180W Multiple SSID Question

Hopefully simple...

I need to set up my RV180W with 2 SSIDs, One of which should be set for N-Only and 20/40Mhz (99% of the devices on my network are N) and the other should be G-Only 20Mhz for those 2 devices that cannot support wireless N.  I also need comunication between the SSIDs as my DHCP server is on VLAN 1

Any suggestions?  I would prefer to have "clean" SSIDs if at all possible (not mixed mode) as N provides better coverage, data rate, etc. and the G Devices are fairly stationary.

Thanks in advance,

Robert Hessenauer                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Clayton Sill
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Robert,

Since the RV180w has 1 wireless radio you are going to have to choose one or the other. You will not be able to have wireless N on one SSID and wireless G on the another SSID. Now you can set up different SSIDs with different security's but your wireless mode is going to be same across the board at this point and I am pretty sure there is nothing Cisco Small Business that will be able to acomplish this. There could be something Enterprise but I am not sure about that.

Your only option is to set the wireless mode to B/G/N mixed mode so all of your devices will be able to connect. The downfall to this (like you pointed out) is your wirless G devices will make the wireless router bring its speeds down to run at G speeds (or close to it). You could buy a AP that does just wireless G or configure it to a wireless G mode though.

I hope that helps!

Thanks,

Clayton Sill

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Clayton Sill
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Robert,

Since the RV180w has 1 wireless radio you are going to have to choose one or the other. You will not be able to have wireless N on one SSID and wireless G on the another SSID. Now you can set up different SSIDs with different security's but your wireless mode is going to be same across the board at this point and I am pretty sure there is nothing Cisco Small Business that will be able to acomplish this. There could be something Enterprise but I am not sure about that.

Your only option is to set the wireless mode to B/G/N mixed mode so all of your devices will be able to connect. The downfall to this (like you pointed out) is your wirless G devices will make the wireless router bring its speeds down to run at G speeds (or close to it). You could buy a AP that does just wireless G or configure it to a wireless G mode though.

I hope that helps!

Thanks,

Clayton Sill

Thanks Clayton,

It is as I feared, but wanted to ask and be sure I wasn't missing something.

Have a great day, and I have marked your post as the correct answer and 5 star as it clearly explained the issue and implementation.

Robert Hessenauer

Hello Robert,

I am glad I was able to answer your question and thank you for marking it has correct answer with 5 stars. I hope you have a great day as well!

Thanks,

Clayton Sill

jonatrod
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Robert  , you posted your question in a wrong forum, go to " Small Business Routers" so you can have more feedback on your case, more users will see it there. You can move your post using. the actions panel on the right.

Greetings

Johnnatan Rodríguez Miranda

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

Jonathan,

Please read the message before posting.  This was relating to the RV180W - A Small Business Wireless Router Device, Wireless being the operative term here. The question was further about WIRELESS implementations and was therefore posted to the correct community.

I have seen you post this several times when people are asking questions about the wireless implementation features of this particular device and am annoyed that a Cisco Engineer could be so horribly wrong about their own hardware.  I could understand if I were asking about the RV180, but not when I CLEARLY specify not only the RV180W,  but that the question is further about WIRELESS ONLY FEATURES (SSID, N only vs G/N vs G only)

Please use more caution in your future posts.

Robert Hessenauer

And no, this is not abuse, just explaining why I would not even rate your post with one star as it is totally off base.