cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using a 2nd SA520W to "extend" a wireless NW

Robert Prideaux
Level 1
Level 1

Apologies if I overlooked this somewhere..

But I want to extend the wireless coverage in a clients office.

1st SA520 is in a Rack at back of premise.

Want to provide a couple of 7925 IP phones for use by staff.

Even with the excellent coverage a 520 usually provides, it ain't happening in a Rack, even with "aerial extenders" - especially 50-60 odd metres from the front of the retail area...

Is there a way/process to allow the 2nd 520 to co-exist with the first one, without causing issues with overlapping signals? hence allowing coverage across the entire building floor.

(if that makes sense)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

qumartin
Level 1
Level 1

If i am reading you correctly, you have 2 sa520w and you would like to turn the second one into an access point to increase the wireless coverage in the office.

You would need to turn off dhcp on the second sa520w and make to plug the cable coming from the other router into the lan side of this device. You can give the device an address on the same subnet but not in the dhcp range. The next step would be to setup the wireless setting to use the same ssid and also the same security setting. Make sure you put this router on a different channel. What i mean by this is if the main sa520w is on channel 1 then set the second one up on channel 6 or 11. It is very import to not have dhcp running on the second sa520w because it will take down you network in this setup.

This setup would allow the main router to still hand out all of the dhcp addresses to all the device on the network requesting dhcp. The main router is still you default gateway for the network. Hope this has been helpful.

Thanks

Q

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

qumartin
Level 1
Level 1

If i am reading you correctly, you have 2 sa520w and you would like to turn the second one into an access point to increase the wireless coverage in the office.

You would need to turn off dhcp on the second sa520w and make to plug the cable coming from the other router into the lan side of this device. You can give the device an address on the same subnet but not in the dhcp range. The next step would be to setup the wireless setting to use the same ssid and also the same security setting. Make sure you put this router on a different channel. What i mean by this is if the main sa520w is on channel 1 then set the second one up on channel 6 or 11. It is very import to not have dhcp running on the second sa520w because it will take down you network in this setup.

This setup would allow the main router to still hand out all of the dhcp addresses to all the device on the network requesting dhcp. The main router is still you default gateway for the network. Hope this has been helpful.

Thanks

Q

Thanks Q,

that is a great help...

and it is less complicated than that (for me) as there is a UC560 in the network as well; so the primary SA520 has DHCP off already. So, one less step

Cheers

Rob