cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP371 and sticky clients

ciscoheidi
Level 1
Level 1

Hallo - I installed 3 WAP371 and when client move to another, powerful AP, the sticky on AP1 …

to reach higher throughput, I installed three WAP371. The modern Clients (e.g. iphone 5s,6 , macbook pro 2014) use the 5GHz-band. In a Wifi-Scanner-App on the macbook I can see:
- the macbook is connected on AP1 and the radiosignal of AP1 is stronger then radiosignal of AP2.
- I move with the computer from AP1 to AP2 and see: macbook is still connected on AP1 but the signal of AP1 is very weaker then signal of AP2.

The client sticks on AP1!
When I stop and start the wifi with a script (fast) the client connect with AP2 like a flash!

The WAP371’s send on different frequencies: 36,52,100. All WAP371 in the same cluster.

What I doing wrong?

I know, WAP371 not provided 802.11k - but how does it work: http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/features/2611-cisco-aps-bring-fast-roaming-to-your-ipad-iphone-5-and-iphone-6/

Can someone please help me?
Best regards - Heidi!

2 Replies 2

mdobiac
Level 3
Level 3

Hello ciscoheidi,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue.  As for the WAP371 the fast roaming it is not a toggle feature where it can be turned on and off however it is supported.  Further it looks like the client has to support fast roaming as well and it decide when it wants to change APs.  

With the link you provided there are specific devices that support fast roaming and have to be on a specific iOS.  If that is met then it should work as described.

Hope this helps,

Michael D.

If this post is helpful please rate or mark as correct.

You are correct the WAP371 does not support 802.11k but it does support the protocol 802.11r.

Basically the way it works is lined out in the article you mentioned. 

Like mr. Dobiac pointed out it is essential that the wireless client support the same protocol for this to work.

Just as information, here is the rundown of Cisco Small Business that supports the 802.11r protocol.

WAP121   802.11r (when supported by Driver)

WAP321   802.11r (when supported by driver)

WAP371   802.11r (when supported by driver)

WAP551   802.11r (when supported by Driver)

WAP561   802.11r (when supported by Driver)

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert