Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4410N CLI and TFTP Command

Michal Bruncko
Level 4
Level 4

Hello

I am using couple of access points of this model - WAP4410N - with firmware version 2.0.5.3. As for simplifying configuration management I am trying to automate the process of backuping configuration (currently manually) via CLI. As I can see there is command:

TFTP:

[VAP0 @ -apX]# tftp

USEAGE For TFTP

Upgrade Firmware:       TFTP [serverip/name] [filename]

Upload/Download Config: TFTP [serverip/name] [filename] [up/down]

but I am not sure what exact syntax need to be used for upload configuration from device to TFTP server. I just tried:

tftp IP_of_TFTP_Server filename_on_TFTP_directory up

(i.e.: tftp 192.168.22.100 apX.cfg up)

but the config was never uploaded.

When file "apX.cfg"  was not present in TFTP directory, I always received "tftp: server says: File not found". On other side when I just created empty file "apX.cfg" inside TFTP directory I just received "Uploading Config File ... Upload Config File end." ... without error, but apX.cfg file on TFTP directory still remains empty.

So please advise what I am doing wrong because another NW devices (switches) have not problem with uploading of config files even if the copied cfg files was newly created on TFTP directory.

------------------

another thing - is possible to specify full configuration file path for TFTP server? because when I use following command:

tftp IP_of_TFTP_Server /some/path/filename up

within current environment I always receive "tftp: local file: No such file or directory".

-------------------

and lastly: is there any official documentation for WAP4410N CLI mode?

thanks for any help with this issue.

michal

5 Replies 5

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Michael, although the device has a CLI, it is entirely unsupported. Any modification or implementation should be through the GUI.

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thanks for anwer Thomas, but Network Configuration Management is not possible to implement via GUI. I am trying to use all possible ways to do it via CLI (as CLI is some of BusyBox implementation with classic bash commands).

And I finally did it:

- tftp command (especially /usr/bin/tftp) have classic busybox tftp client parameters so we can precisely specify exact options that we want to use

- for everyone who wants to upload configuration to remote tftp server just try to use following two commands:

nvram show > /var/tmp/config

/usr/bin/tftp -p TFTP_Server_IP -l /var/tmp/config -r /here/could/come/full/path/of/dst/directory/and/file/name

there is just one question. If this config backup is possible to do within only ONE command (instead of two currently used). if tftp client is able to accept standard input as local file instead of "-l" parameter...

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

As my trusted colleague Mr. Watts was saying, CLI on this device is not supported. For this device, it was only intended to be available for diagnostic through our Development team. 

Thanks

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

866-606-1866 ext 601027

Mon - Fri 09:00 - 18:00 (UTC - 05:00)

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Hi Eric,

Yes, I understand both of you, this mode is unsupported (and yes, I originally dont know about this). But I wrote and ask here once more because I was hoping that someone (i.e. from SB team as you are experts for those devices, but also from community) help me with this issue (not in form of official state of company what is or is not supported) but with your personal experience and knowledge as you probably know this devices from every side.

thanks