cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4410N stops responding very often

xvillafuerte
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, we have 9 WAP4410N with PoE in our network. They were purchased on August. We found that very often in a week, they stop responding to any clients so they cannot get IP addresses, but we can ping the devices and enter the administration page. The only solution is to reboot the AP. I found some references to the same problem in the Cisco Forums and even some bad recommendations in Amazon.com about these APs, but now is too late and we need to found a solution.

We upgraded to firmware 2.0.3.3 but problem remains. We are completly sure that IP and DNS configurations are fine and that our switches and DHCP servers work fine, too. We have in the same LAN, APs 3COm from the 9150 series with no problems. These 3Com APs use the same network services that the 4410.

Currently we are testing the Force LAN to 100 Mbps option and using mixed encryption algorithms (AES and TKIP) because at the begining, we were only using AES. But, I feel that it is not a smart procedure because it is not based on any real fact; it is, may be a desperate choice.

In order to administer those APs, we normally connect at the night so we don´t affect anyone on the network. However, when I check the administration page, I can see that the utilization rate in all the APs is always more that 40%, and I am sure, nobody is using the AP at the night. Wierd. In a normal day, no more than 20 clients are connected to each AP.

Logs have no valuable information to use in order to find a solution.

So, any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

Xavier Villafuerte

246 Replies 246

Thanks for the update.  I anxiously await the updated firmware.  These access points are really nice in every respect, except for the issues when using the repeater mode.

Hi Rick,

Do you have any updates about the new firmware?

Our AP is suffering from the same issue.

If you need any beta tester, you can count on us.

Thanks

Telles

We still do not have a firm date yet as to when it will be released but the following is from a posting on April 28, 2011 on the forum from

Alex Delano concerning the firmware:

"Unfortunately, we do not have an ETA for release of 2.0.4.1, however we do have a pre-release beta that can be distributed to customers with a beta agreement. If you wish to obtain a copy of the beta, please call the Small Business Support Center at 866-606-1866 and open a Service Request.

Once you have Service Request number, ask the support engineer to escalate the case to L2 so you can get a copy of the beta. "

THANKS

Rick Roe

Cisco Small Business Support Cener

Thanks for this tip.  Just opened the case and hope to test this out asap.  This really should be a higher priority for the company given that the AP is basically useless with this issue.  Has anyone tried this beta firmware with success?

I'm happy to open a ticket, less happy to have my clients act as guinea pigs... Would love to hear some real world response from those of you who are in a potentially better situation to test this w/o creating additional client friction.

I will test as soon as I get the new firmware and will report back.  Hopefully I get a call tomorrow and get my hands on the firmware. I cannot believe that people have been dealing with this issue for over a year now.

FYI

I had to buy a $30 router (of another brand) to solve the problem, because cisco is unable to support their own products... and now I have an expensive 3 antenna brick!

henrikhoejgaard
Level 1
Level 1

I am honestly horrified by the service, that Cisco is providing in this matter.

I've had these APs in about 6 months now, and I have put a timer on them, that cuts the power to them every night, just to have them run somewhat reliable, during the day.

As I am located in Denmark, there is no official Cisco support, for their Small Business Product line. All the email adresses and phone numbers I've contacted, have refused to help me with these truly crappy products. I regret everyday, that I've ever spent money on these wanna-be APs.

Now, to you, the community, I BEG! - If any of you (in an area, where the Cisco support actually listens to your problems), get your hands on a beta firmware, which solves the problems - could you find it in your heart, to share it with us less fortunate, in the middle of the Cisco support black hole?

I know that this would be a direct violation, to the license agreement. But I just can't take this waiting anymore. I honestly feel, like the biggest idiot, for spending the company's money on this S**T!!!

I think that all the people affected be these issues, have shown a LOT of patience with Cisco, and I admire your stamina!

I am not sure if this helps at all. I have four WAP4410Ns in our building. Two of them are giving me the same problem being described here. These were the last two I set up. I set up the first two (the working ones) I did it at the same time and set the same configuration. When I set up the last two (the ones that having the problem) I went through and made sure I matched the configuration to be the same.

The only thing that I can see that is different between the two that work and the two that I have to reboot is the power source. The two that are working are PoE and the two that are not are on AC.

I have around ten exhibiting behavior, all are poe.

On May 9, 2011 4:16 PM, "mpalecek@quickcable.com" <

I have 28 APs and all are with PoE but got the same issue.

henrikhoejgaard
Level 1
Level 1

I think that Cisco's participation in this thread - or lack of same - is really disturbing, but paints a pretty accurate picture of how S**TTY their support is!

Horrifying!

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center.

Gentlemen, please accept my apology for the delay in the release of the updated firmware 2.0.4.1 for the WAP4410N. I know that when waiting for help with issues and things keep getting delayed that it can be very frustrating.

As my colleague, Mr. Roe stated in a previous post,"

"Unfortunately, we do not have an ETA for release of 2.0.4.1, however we do have a pre-release beta that can be distributed to customers with a beta agreement. If you wish to obtain a copy of the beta, please call the Small Business Support Center at 866-606-1866 and open a Service Request.

Once you have Service Request number, ask the support engineer to escalate the case to L2 so you can get a copy of the beta. "

With that said, I see that some of you are having issue getting through, especially those of you overseas. I would like to offer my services and be your personal liaison to get things rolling for you and get you positioned to getting the beta firmware.

If each of you could send me the following information:

Cisco UserID and any updated phone or contact information

WAP4410N Serial Numbers with just a brief statement of your issue.

If you do not currently have a Cisco UserID, If you go to the Cisco.com website you can register in the upper right hand corner.

I will then get you a case created and referenced in the correct way, so that we can get you the beta agreement and then the beta firmware until the formal firmware is released.

You can send me the information to the following email address.

emoyersatciscodotcom

Thanks again and I promise that as soon as i get the information from each of you I will get that processed so that our L2 team that handles the beta firmware can get this out to you.

Eric Moyers
Cisco Network Support Engineer
1-866-606-1866

Hi Eric.  Can you, indeed, verify that this latest firmware corrects the issues in question?

I've been following along with these problems through numerous firmware updates, with no resolution ever presented.  Perhaps you are not aware, but these problems have not been addressed since they were first reported in July 2009.  2009!!!!  That's almost TWO years ago!

WAP4410N stops responding

I've pretty much written these units off as junk, but feeling bad for other users stuck in sticky situations, I really hope this firmware update fixes this device.  I won't hold my breath though.

Message was edited by: Cindy Toy - updated the link to the correct one.

Hello Sir. Thank you for your response. I personally have not had a WAP4410N with this issue and then saw the correction by using the new beta firmware. However I have had several customer that I escalated to get the firmware and it has fixed the issue in their instance. I really don't like my roundabout answer. But I wanted to make sure that I was as accurate as possible.

I hope this satisfactorily answers your question.

Eric Moyers
Cisco Network Support Engineer
1-866-606-1866