Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP561 1.2.0.2 Firmware Update Issue

dominic.brunet1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Before i started in my current job that had arranged an IT company to put in a new Server etc. During this process they put in two WAP561's (WAP561-A-K9 V01) in a cluster. Emits 2 SSID's 1 x a/b/g/n and 1 AC.

Previous to last Thursday they were running the 1.0.3.4 firmware. As you may be aware there are times when the WAP561's don't like to pass DHCP traffic through. This started happening on one of the SSID's. I decided to update the firmware as there was supposedly a fix for the DHCP issue.

I updated to the 1.2.0.2 firmware last Thursday and originally for the 1 day had no issues. Come Friday morning and today, the Wireless clients are refusing to connect to the network properly. I have tried setting static IP's to test out if traffic will pass, it wont even work this way.

Its definitely not a switch issue as hard wired clients are fine.

Originally it was a Macbook Air 2014 model that was the only one not connecting. However it has slowly been happening to other machines.

I have reverted the firmware back to 1.0.3.4, as it seems more stable, apart from intermittently  not passing DHCP traffic.

Is there a known issue with the latest firmware at all? As you can understand this severely disrupts our work flow. I have another 20 WAP561's i need top update but refuse to do so until i can get this too work.

We run a combination of Mac's, Ipads, Iphones, Windows machines etc. All of them are having the same issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated/

Thanks in advanced guys.

9 Replies 9

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

One thing that you could try here is under Wireless -> Networks go to Security, disable WPA-TKIP and then check MFP: Not Required

I have just recently discovered with help from another customer that having this marked as capable or Required can cause issues similar to this.

In the US you can call 1-866-606-1866 or check this link out:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply.

That has been disabled for us the whole time. We are still getting issues, More Mac's than Windows machines though.

Anything else you could recommend.

Are you talking about TKIP or the MFP portion? MFP is only on the 1.2.0.2 firmware.

Eric Moyers

Hi Eric,

I have Set MFP to be "Not Required" on both Radio 1 (11 a/b/g/n) and Radio 2 (802.11ac). However it is still causing issues with all of our wireless tech. 

DHCP still appears too stop being passed through. Its definitely not the server as all the Wired clients are able to receive DHCP and when i set a static IP on a wireless client it works fine.

Any other ideas you could possible help with?

Thanks

Hi Dominic,

we got 2 WAP561 and have the same issues also with the actual firmware 1.2.0.2.

Not all clients got this problem and not every time so it's very frustrating...

Actually i think it's still a dhcp problem which should be solved in this release, do you use a Windows Server 2012R2 for DHCP?

I captured the traffic on the eth0 interface ("bootp" Filter) of the access point and see only "DHCP Discover" messages but not a single response.

On the switch side (yes unfortunately netgear but wired clients work) i mirrored the port of the AP and i saw the "DHCP Discover" and the "DHCP Offer" messages but not "DHCP Acknowledge" because the Offer never reaches the Client!

So maybe the AP drops these messages or how could they get lost?

Could you check if it's the same behavior in your case?

Thanks!

Kind regards

Dan

Can we get a description or diagram of the network. IP's of devices, vlans, etc. What would probably be even quicker to diagnose this issue is to call in and open a support ticket with one of our engineers. Sounds like you have most of the imformation needed for troubleshooting. Just need the run down of the network setup to really determine what is going on.

Please call our support center and open a case so that one of our engineers can work directly with you.
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.

Hello Eric,

i opened a case and talked with a support engineer.

He sayd that i should reset the switch and configure it again and this is what i did today.

I will test over the next days of the problem is solved or not and give you a feedback.

Kind regards

Dan

What is your case#. That way I can also check in on it and stay up to date with this case.

Eric Moyers

jbattist
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dominic,

Sorry the device is not performing as expected.  I see Eric has offered a few suggestions.  I would like to verify that the AP is not sending the DHCP broadcast out.  The unit can do a packet capture.  I would suggest setting up the unit to do a packet capture from the brtrunk interface and note the time a wireless device can not get a DHCP address.  Stop the capture and we can examine the capture and verify what you think is the issue.  The brtrunk interface will capture all packets flowing through the unit.  We should see the DISCOVER packet on the wireless VAP but not on the outgoing Ethernet side of the AP.

Also, are the SSID's on separate VLANs or is there VLANs configured on the switch?  And is the DHCP server on the same VLAN as the wireless clients?  Thanks Dominic.