cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1142 Access Point Signal pulsing

Mario Elia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I've recently set up a guest wireless in my office, using a WLC 2504 controlling 4 1142 APs. They have been working great for about a month, but as of yesterday, the Wifi signal from 2 of the APs began to pulse - 5 seconds on, 1 second off - which makes it unusable. They are connected as such:

WLC direct to 3750, to another 3750 (~200ft run), to 1142 AP1 (~100ft)     THIS AP IS PULSING

WLC direct to 3750, to another 3750 (~25ft run), 1142 AP2 (~50ft)     THIS AP IS PULSING

WLC direct to 3750, to another 3750 (~25ft run), to 1142 AP3 (~200ft)     THIS AP IS WORKING NORMALLY

WLC direct to 3750, to media transfer, 1000ft fibre to media transfer, to 3750 (~6ft), to 1142 AP (200ft) THIS AP IS WORKING NORMALLY

All APs are receiving PoE from their last 3750 (at default levels). I've cycled the individual APs, as well as the WLC, but the issue remains.

Except for the initial 3750 directly connected, all other 3750's are different.

I not very familiar with the WLC/APs, so if you need more information to help me, please ask.

Thanks!

(attached is a pdf of the layout)

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What do you mean pulsating? Tale a look at your power levels on the access point. Are they in power level 1 or lower like 6, 7, or 8? Do you see any errors on the wlc log.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

When I say pulsating, I'm speaking in regards to the WiFi signal of the AP 1142. The signal comes up for about 5 seconds, then disappears. After a second or two, it's back, but disappears again. All of the APs are set at power level 1, and nothing else on the 3750's have PoE enable, so the power should be stable.

I don't see anything that sticks out in the log, but I am not very familiar with the WLC. I've attached a copy of the log so you can take a look. I had to reboot the WLC this morning so the logs are a bit short.

Are both 2.4 and 5ghz having this issue.

On AP in question get these info:

AP#show log

AP#more event.log

Check the radio flip-flop.

are you sure AP is not doing one of these.

AP in question under continament

Rogue AP containing Rogues

RLDP

Hi Mario,

When you say "pulsing", HOW did you conclude the case?  I mean what CLIENTS and what softwares did you see that all of these WAPs' are "pulsing"?

Please post the output to the following commands:

1.  WAP:  sh version;

2.  WAP:  sh log;

3.  WAP:  dir;

4.  WAP:  sh inventory;

5.  WLC:  sh sysinfo

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would just do a continuous ping and see of you still have connectivity even though your device fails I show the SSID. If the ping does not drop, then it's probably your device. Upgrade the driver perhaps.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

blakekrone
Level 4
Level 4

Do you have spectrum expert?

What code rev?

There are a few bugs that are present in some of the 7.x code revs that would cause something similar to this that was resolved when I updated to 7.0.235.0 for example.

Blakerone - where can I get an updated version of the AP Software? I can find the IOS on Cisco, but I don't see a download for the Software.

You upgrade the wlc and the wlc will upgrade the access points. You need to have smartnet in order to be able to download code for your specific equipment.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: