cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1142 APs not joining with 2106 WLC

oatmeel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a 2106 wireless lan controller and two 1142N-N-K9 LAPs. I am building a lab and am trying to get the APs to form a CAPWAP tunnel with the controller, however, this is not succeeding. So far the APs receive IP addresses from the pool configured on my switch and send a CAPWAP discovery request and receive a discovery response from the WLC. But then they don't do through with the joining process. When looking on the WLC GUI under the Monitor  > Statistics > AP Join the APs show up here, but with status: 'Not Joined'. When looking under Wireless > Access Points > All APs they aren't shown. 

I am thinking there might be a country code mismatch. I live in Australia and have set the WLC country code as AU. But I'm unable to determine the APs country code as I cannot reach the APs console CLI interface. Maybe I can't console into the APs because they are lightweight?

- The WLC is running version 7.0.251.2

- I don't know what version the APs are running because I can't reach their console. 

Any feedback would be really appreciated! Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Most likely these old ap's have expired certificateshttps://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/field-notices/639/fn63942.html , countermeasures for that are available but not for your current version on the WLC , which is too old for that too.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi

The regulatory domain is indicated on the AP - 1142N-N-K9 LAPs. The N represents the regulatory domain. N is South America. 

For APAC, it should be Z. However, as you are just building a Lab, you can enable the South America on the WLC. 

Make sure also the licesing is active and data/time is correct. 

For version looks ok as the AP support from version 5 up to 8 and the wlc up to 7.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Most likely these old ap's have expired certificateshttps://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/field-notices/639/fn63942.html , countermeasures for that are available but not for your current version on the WLC , which is too old for that too.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hey, thanks for the quick reply! This seems to be the case. I have set a ton of country codes as Flavio Miranda suggested - didn't work. Looking at debugs from the WLC, there seems to be a problem with DTLS which is linked to the certificate problem I suppose?

And I can't enter these commands because of my old version:

For 7.0.252.0:
(WLC)>config ap lifetime-check {mic|ssc} enable

For 7.4.140.0 and later:
(WLC)>config ap cert-expiry-ignore {mic|ssc} enable

Guess there's nothing I can do then? Does anyone have any files they could give me for the 7.0.252.0 and upward versions? Can't download it from cisco anymore!

Thanks so much for your help.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card